Fuzzy looking algae id

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Is this a new tank or has it been established a while? Looks like the stuff that I got on my glass when tank was cycling.

Looks like some kind of GHA. You have to make sure your lighting is new. It's usually a mix of old bulbs and ammonia that will cause these types of algae's. Good Luck.

Pharmdoc

Looks like some kind of GHA. You have to make sure your lighting is new. It's usually a mix of old bulbs and ammonia that will cause these types of algae's. Good Luck.

The bulbs are about 2 mo old. Updated photo. Started to scrape the back. Its really stuck on there like a ca deposit. The turbo snails andtangs (brisletooth and pbt) dont seem to like it.

image_zps6fa7ccfe.jpg

cah73

maybe research getting a nudi or a blenny? not 100% they will do the trick tho. AVIOD chemicals, it will only give you another problem. I have been having an algae issue for a few weeks now and my tank is also somewhat "fresh". This is usually a new tank syndrome. also, there is usually a reason for the algae growth. You have to watch what nutrients are going into your tank (what type of h20 you are using for changes, overfeeding, lighting schedule, etc...) I like to think of it as "how can i starve the damn algae". Maybe start with aggressive skimming and cutting back on your feedings (dont do too much at once). If you give a little more info, about your routine and things, im sure someone else can chime in! Good Luck! dont give up! Patience is key!

Steve L

Wow, that's like carpeting. It seems that much algae would require a ton of nutrients to establish itself in the first place. Where do you get your water, and where did your live rock come from? If you bought your rock cured or alive from another tank it may have hitched a ride into your tank, and now the rock is leaching out nutrients to feed it.

Any livestock in the tank besides a clean up crew?