Future tank plans

Here is a plan for my dream setup. This view would be looking at the back of the tank from a fishroom (I hope). Now mind you, i drew this in microsoft paint with a lap-top computer touch pad type mouse, so it took me a long time. What i am asking is, does anyone see any flaws in the setup that can cause problems, and let me know what would be a better way of setting this up. It would be an sps- dominant tank so water flow and quality is a big concern. Thanks -Austin

by the way, the sump return pump and the fuge pump would be side by side outside of the sump with the return pumping more water. I just couldnt get that detailed with the Paint.

wow i am really building my post number up lol, this is the last one tonight i promise. But if the tank was a 120 gallon, the sump a 75 gallon and the fuge a 40 breeder, what size holes should be drilled in the tank for overflow and closed loops? Thanks again

Maxx

Okay,
couple of things that I can see quickly.....
Check valves.......these things have NUMEROUS reports of failing when you need em most. I wouldnt trust em, unless you mind the occassional flood or your house is made by rubbermaid.
Ways to prevent back siphon that dont involve check valves....
Drill small (1/16 or so) holes in your return lines, (where they are in the tank), so that air gets sucked in and breaks siphon if you have a power loss. Things to remember/keep in mind.....I would go w/ at leasat 2 holes and clean them RELIGIOUSLY....like once a week. If something clogs the joles, its like they didnt exist at all. Snails can be in the wrong place at the wrong time, so I would plan for multiple holes.
You can also raise the height of your return so that it cant suck down that much water in the event of a power loss. Ensure that your sump can handle the back siphon volume. If you're going w/ a closed loop any way, this makes a little more sense to me, since the closed loop can handle the water movement inside the tank and now your return's only job is to...well return water to the tank from the sump.:D
Closed loop........some people love SCWDS......I've heard several instances where they have become jammed internally w/ debris etc when used on Closed loops, since there is no filter media to catch the crap before it gets in the plastic gear teeth of the SCWD. I personally havent used one, so I cant speak from experiance, but I am not taking the chance. I'm going w/ one of these. I'm using the 4 way Heavy Duty Oceans Motions unit....ALOT more expensive than a SCWD, but a lot more reliable too......also a lot cheaper than a motorized ball valve.
One last thing...why two closed loop pumps? I believe it would use less power to run one big pump than two little ones....
HTH,
Nick

austin40reef

thanks for the response maxx. Ok so what i have to change is the height of the return outlets, the height of the entrance to the fuge, and some research on closed loops. Power consumption of one more closed loop pump is not that much of a concern considering every thing else like halides that are going to be running, but i like the idea of having two seperate pumps in case one fails i'll still have some movement. What do you think of the actual sump and fuge setup. Is the baffle configeration ok? Water would flow from the tank into a chamber where water either goes through the skimmer, or if the flow is very high from the tank and the skimmer isnt taking in that much water, the water can flow over the baffle into a chamber that holds some carbon. That way all the water flowing from the tank gets some kind of filtration. I dont know what kind of skimmer i will be getting, but it will be the largest one i can afford and I would like it outside of the sump. I dont know much about this one, but i was looking at the Aqua-C EV-240 with the calcium reactor connection. Anything good or bad to say about this skimmer? Thanks again - Austin