Future 180 ???

Hello all

Been out of the hobby for about 6 months now (due to being activated) but the time is approaching and i need to start making decisions.

I'm currently planning to start up a 180 gallon reef as soon as i get home (wooohooooooo) but i need to decide on a couple things. Pumps and lights.

Return pump---Being that the 180 has 2 overflows, should i use 1 pump for the return and split the line (one to each return)............or should i just get a 2nd pump, and just run 1 pump to each return.

Lighting----I want to run 3x250watt mh's, but was a bit curious on the 12000k sunburst bulbs. Does anyone use them and if so would you recommend it. Can you really tell the difference in color from the 10000k to the 12000k?

Thanks in advance

DS

Witfull

on my 210 i went with dual pumps, my thinking,,,if one shuts down i lose half my flow, not all.

Witfull

19pumps1.jpg

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Return pump---Being that the 180 has 2 overflows, should i use 1 pump for the return and split the line (one to each return)............or should i just get a 2nd pump, and just run 1 pump to each return.

I agree with Wit on having 2 pumps and also if you want you could have one run to a sump and one thru a refugium although the flow rate would have to be slower.

Lighting----I want to run 3x250watt mh's, but was a bit curious on the 12000k sunburst bulbs. Does anyone use them and if so would you recommend it. Can you really tell the difference in color from the 10000k to the 12000k?

I don't use them but in JBNY's testing the PAR levels on the 12k were real low. What are you planning to keep ? If it's only going to be softies then it would be fine but some of the more light demanding Corals or Clams then I would go with the XM 10k's.

Yeah i agree with both of you. I'm just trying to decide what pumps i'm gonna use for the returns.

In reference to corals......when i had my 90 gallon up and running, i only had softies and LPS's. But i want to get the halides to start getting some stony's and clams. I just haven't heard much of the 12k. I'm more into the bluish look in the tank so i guess I'll just add an extra actinic bulb to what I had planned.

DS