fuge?

cindyp

Hi all I'm thinking I need a fuge sooner than later it will be a purchase not homemade I need one b/c I now have a green mandarin and need to populate flora and fauna. is there any specific brand and size for a 55 gallon you can recommend? Thanks for your advice...

r2d2

Hi Cindy, a DIY Sump its very easy, you should consider it. Here you have a pic of my new sump. Its just a 20 gal tank with 4 pieces of glass glued with silicon. I guess it will work perfectly with your 55 gal DT.
P1050867.jpg

It used to be a wet/dry filter so dont pay attention to horizontal pieces of glass to the left, just vertical ones.
First seccion is inlet with romm for Skimmer, second seccion is fuge, then is a bubble trap and finaly return seccion.

Greetings

It's really easy to do & will save you a ton of money. I have some plans/directions (not by me, lol) for a real simple basic sump, I could email them to you.

bandr1002

i would have to agree, it is so simple that Hellen Keller could make one. for a 55 gal tank i would go to petco or petsmart and pick up a 29 long tank, add a couple of baffles and you just saved 150 bucks. take the cash you saved and buy a pump. if you are not sure about the glueing of glass there are many sites on how to do it. also, if you look things up on you tube, there are plenty of tutorials on the subject... check these out.

YouTube - Reef Tank D.I.Y. Sump part 1
YouTube - Reef Tank D.I.Y. Sump part 2

btw, sorry bout the hellen keller joke.

There is nothing dumb about wanting to learn & the only way to do that is ask questions. We were all at one point where you are at right now. Did you get my email?

bandr1002

btw, the only dumb question is one not asked... that is what we are all here for. the only reason to start a forum, is to share the experiences we learn, and try to learn from them.

RogueCorps

You might want to consider a temporary home for your Mandarin because you should really have your refugium well established before it will be able to provide a lot of food. You should probably look into some prepared foods also in case it will take any.

Good luck...

-R

Jeremy0322

You might be better off with live food too than frozen stuff. I know my scooter blenny wont even look at frozen food, but you throw some live brine in that tank and its go time for that little guy!

cindyp

Hi Michelle, yes I got your email and we are going to work on a fuge this weekend. thanks alot it was very helpful. Roguecorps, that zooplanktos really looks like it may help the mandarin and buy me some time to get this fuge going and copepods.I have 2 units set aside that I am going to pickup sat. well I am leaning. from now on I will not buy one fish until I check their requirements first. I saw this mandarin in the lfs and wow next thing I know we are heading home me and my happy mandarin. he still looks really colorful and cruises around the tank I have been using a product called coral frenzy the ultimate coral food it says it contains oyster larve, salmon roe,krill,copepods and some other stuff thats supposed to be good so maybe this stuff is also keeping the mandarin happy and healthy.its kinda weird when I mix this stuff up and add it to the tank my open brain coral really opens up fast so they must like it. Thank you guys for all the advice this forum is worth its weight in gold. take care and have a wonderful weekend..:hallo: