Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Compact all night

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Compact a few hour

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Basile

Right, i'm really confused as what the light should be for my fuge.
Everybody seems to have a different take on it. Some go for the Walmart cheap light bulbs, others swear by the halide only, Other say light it up just a few hours; others, say all night. I'm not sure where to go with this so this poll is to enlighten me, no punt intended !

Tell me what light you think and How long. I imagine the stronger the light the less time; just a guess. I know that Halogen like the one i have can be good but gives alot of heat. I'm affraid to heat up my tank, should i be worried?

zy112

I would not go with cheap wal mart bulbs. You dont want to buy a bulb that is a poor K rating and will encourage bad algae growth.

For me, I run a 10k pc on the fuge at night.

cbrownfish

I would not go with cheap wal mart bulbs. You dont want to buy a bulb that is a poor K rating and will encourage bad algae growth.

So "bad" algae and "good" algae are selective? :turntable

I use a 96W PC with a 50/50 bulb to light my primary fuge on a reverse daylight schedule. With that said, I have a corkscrew PC bulb that lights my secondary fuge and 2 corkscrew PC bulbs that light my algae scrubber (they work great). Short of an incandescent bulb, most bulbs and/or fixtures are fine for fuges. In fact, many bulbs that are used in agriculture for plants and or algae growth are bad for corals because they lack the full spectrum. However, those same bulbs would work fine for your fuge.

sneaks03

Basile i am glad you asked this one. I have had the same question on my mind the past week or two since i am trying to get my fuge going. As best I have heard it doesn't matter the type of light, just as long as you have one. But I have also been kinda skeptical on this advice. Kinda goes with Al's motto, "ask 10 people get 12 different answers", it seems.

mr X

bad algae growth? algae is algae.
we have simply decided some is unwanted.
what no one seemed to touch on yet is the color temperature.
the best color temperature for plant life is the lower k bulbs, 6500k being ideal. this is not opinion- i've taken this information from hydroponics websites (plant folks).
it doesn't matter what you choose to put over your refugium as far as power compacts, curly-q energy saver bulbs, or halides..what matters is the color temperature.
that said, i chose the "clip on light" option because why spend money if you don't have to?
purchase a $5.99 clip on light from home depot and a 6500k energy saver bulb and your done.
here you go- expert refugium lighting....
bulb.jpg

light.jpg

Basile

bad algae growth? algae is algae.
we have simply decided some is unwanted.
what no one seemed to touch on yet is the color temperature.
the best color temperature for plant life is the lower k bulbs, 6500k being ideal. this is not opinion- i've taken this information from hydroponics websites (plant folks).
it doesn't matter what you choose to put over your refugium as far as power compacts, curly-q energy saver bulbs, or halides..what matters is the color temperature.
that said, i chose the "clip on light" option because why spend money if you don't have to?
purchase a $5.99 clip on light from home depot and a 6500k energy saver bulb and your done.
here you go- expert refugium lighting....
bulb.jpg

light.jpg

I like your way of thinking thanks :girlthumb:

G!N+T0N!K

i have my compact light turn on when the main tank light turns off. When the main tank light is on the compact is off. :invisible