fuge changed to sump

So today I went to a LFS and got some macro algae and a filter sock holder and sock, so in the next few days I will be switching back over to the old style refugium. Should I also put some live sand in the same chamber as the algae (the middle chamber)? Also while looking for stuff on how best to install the sock, I keep finding sites that say not to use one!! Should I or shouldn't I??? Or should I just have an empty first chamber, sand and algae in the 2nd, and either the chemi pure elite or nothing in the last chamber?? AGH!!! Help please! :)

david42

I have had my filter sock running about a week now. I wish I had made the change a lot sooner. The sump stays a lot cleaner. The display tank is a lot clearer.
Before when I was using the drip tray and pads, whenever I turned pump back on after feeding the display would get bombarded with garbage.
It has made a drastic improvement in the amount of junk floating around. There was so much I have had to switch out the socks twice. Surely after the water gets clearer won't need to do it so often.
I say go for it. You will be glad you did.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I've read lots of good benefits come from a DSB...I went with 5in. DSB in my refugium.
I figure give it a year trail to see. If it causes any problems, it can be taken off-line & removed.