Frozen Food

jesse_224

I havent had any fish in my tank for a few months until yesterday. I added an oc. clown. Before when I had fish I fed two different kinds of dry food. I bought this one frozen food and im wondering about storage. Do you need to keep it froze? If not how long would it keep in the bottom of the fridge?

Gina

RS STAFF
Is it the frozen cubes or a large sheet of food?
We keep all our frozen food......frozen.
I take out a cube of food in the morning, thaw and rinse in RO/DI water then feed.

jesse_224

It is the frozen cubes. It looks like mush, when you soak it in RO/DI does it stay together? Or do you have to strain it out of the water?

gimpy

I see that you have only a ten gal. tank and only one fish. I would hesitate to put a whole cube into your tank at once. I think that would be way too much food. Of course, I may be misreading/misunderstanding the posts.

I would slice off a small portion and swirl/swish it in the aquarium water, or, if you are going to rinse it first, swish it in tap water (or r/o water). I do that, then strain it through a real tight meshed net, then pour aq. water through the net to to dislodge that into a cup, along with the aq. water, then feed it to the fish/tank.

I have a perc. clown and feed him frozen "formula one". It is a reddish cube. I slice off 5-6 real small pieces and pour it into the tank. It is more of a gelatin consistency and stays together more so than breaking up like frozen brine shrimp does. This is about the only thing my perc eats. He really goes after it.

Frank

lcstorc

For my ponies, I thaw and rinse a cube of mysis and then feed it to them with an eyedropper (a bit bigger tube but basically that's it.) Then I refrigerate the leftovers and use that night etc. I go through a cube in about 2 days and I am careful to refrigerate once thawed.

jesse_224

Yeah, I have a 10 gal. I figured it was way to much food also. I figure one cube will last him about a week. Or at least so far that is what it looks like it will last. I have been putting a little of the food in a plastic cup and rinsing it with DI water two or three times then dumping the food and water into the tank. It seems to work good. Icstorc, I was thinking about doing the eyedropper thing, it sounds like a good idea. Thanks everyone

iluvzigz

PREMIUM
ive been putting my frozen brine in a cup of ro water to thaw ,then pour the whole thing in..am i not supposed to put that water from thawing it in my tank? because of possible phos.? strain in net then put in tank...gotcha.