Frogspawn not expanding just turning to limp bulbs

torahtrance

Hey I'm not sure what to do about my frogspawn. Had a power outage and lost about 30 gallons of water. Replaced it with boiled tap water. Lost my job so I'm stuck with no money to invest. Got some quality salt and the salinity went up more then expected from my refractometer to 26 possibly even 27. Did water changes again with boiled water and its down to about 025.

Also ran out of water conditioner... Using an algae scrubber and year old activated charcoal filter... Rough times...

Also about 6 weeks ago I got three par 38 54w lights custom made with 450nm and some 14k whites with 1 red 2 green 1 420nm and a 2.5k. 3 lights and recently put up a 30w cob warm white...

It seems for some time now the corals are not expanding in the day. They always disappear in the evening so you just see little green dots and the skeleton but lately they seem to turn into little water balloons looks limp and losing good shape. I see the balloons flutter kind of in the flow.

Anyone have any ideas? I moved him down in the tank for less light and turned my wp40 to lowest wave setting....

uploadfromtaptalk1461056092789.jpguploadfromtaptalk1461056098950.jpguploadfromtaptalk1461056102839.jpguploadfromtaptalk1461056106456.jpg

Going to upload a video to youtube and post it here..

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

PCDS

These corals are a good indicator of water quality - I don't think boiling tap water is going to help remove impurities - RO water is what you need. It may then just need some time to recover from the power outage, changes in water parameters and lighting.

PCDS

Oh and watch to see if any of your fish are nipping it or the clown trying to pretend it's an anenome.

Antics

I don't think boiled water is going to help out. When you're boiling the water, you aren't removing any of the toxins (for lack of a better word) that will pose problems for your reef. The hobby stresses RO(DI) water because of the removal of chemical compounds that will cause problems in a reef. These include chlorine, chloramine, phosphates, heavy metals, etc. Boiling might alter the chemical bonds of some compounds but its not the same as an RODI based water change. I realize you recently lost your job, and now you say you're out of water conditioner. Water changes and conditioned water are the most critical part of maintaining your aquarium. I don't know your whole financial situation, but you really need to consider if its possible to scrape together the money for the basic essentials of maintenance. This hobby isn't forgiving to financial hardships unfortunately.

Hoping for a turn in your luck going forward.

DaveK

Hey I'm not sure what to do about my frogspawn. Had a power outage and lost about 30 gallons of water. Replaced it with boiled tap water. Lost my job so I'm stuck with no money to invest. Got some quality salt and the salinity went up more then expected from my refractometer to 26 possibly even 27. Did water changes again with boiled water and its down to about 025.

Also ran out of water conditioner... Using an algae scrubber and year old activated charcoal filter... Rough times...

Also about 6 weeks ago I got three par 38 54w lights custom made with 450nm and some 14k whites with 1 red 2 green 1 420nm and a 2.5k. 3 lights and recently put up a 30w cob warm white...

It seems for some time now the corals are not expanding in the day. They always disappear in the evening so you just see little green dots and the skeleton but lately they seem to turn into little water balloons looks limp and losing good shape. I see the balloons flutter kind of in the flow.

Anyone have any ideas? I moved him down in the tank for less light and turned my wp40 to lowest wave setting....

I know what it's like to be out of work. I was out of work for an extended period about 10 years ago. Hope you find something soom.

Boiling water doesn't remove too much nowadays. Years ago it would remove chlorine, but with the switch to other chlorine compounds, not so much any more. The other thing boiling will do is remove all the dissolved oxygen in the water, so for best results, you need to let it cool down and circulate it with a power head for a few hours.

Even with a big water loss, you need to be very careful how you replace the water. It's still got to match temp and salinity, or you'll create additional stress on your corals.

You want to get some water conditioner. I use Seachem Prime if for some reason I can't use RO/DI water. It's only about $7 to $8 for 100ml and that will treat 1000 gal of water. It's a lot safer bet compared to boiling, and the water is ready for use in a few min. It's not a substitute for good RO/DI water, but it will get you through in an emergency.

Your better off removing the old activated carbon. Carbon is great until it becomes saturated with what ever it's absorbing, but once that occurs, the stuff it absorbed can leach back out. You'll also see that many people don't even run carbon nowadays.

As for the corals not expanding, this could be from everything it's been through. For now leave it alone, and keep an eye on it. If it really starts to go bad on you, you'll need to toss it, but if water quality and lighting are good, it can live a long time.

Choff

Stability is key and you had a lot of salinity swings and you changed out your lights. I don't know how many total bulbs you have, but I would suggest only ever changing 1 at a time. Us wait at least a week if not 2 or 3 before doing the next and so on. You need to give corals time to adjust. Already mentioned, but ya dump the old charcoal. Better to run none than spent carbon that is most likely now leaching stuff back into the water and creating nitrates.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk