freshwater to saltwater

zensaiyan

hi everyone, i was wondering if anyone had experience changing and existing freshwater tank to a saltwater tank. right now i have a 72 gal fw that i want to switch with my 30 gal sw. in the 72 is 50 lbs of black sand and a good canister filter. when i switch what would i have to do? would i have to recycle the filter with saltwater? will the black sand in there now be acceptable in a saltwater tank? or would i have to buy live sand for the saltwater? could i just put the live sand from my 30 gal in with the black sand in the 72? does anyone have any advice or tips for me? thanks for the help.

Gina

RS STAFF
I have never switched a freshwater with a saltwater. I think that I've heard that black sand contains silica? Someone correct me if I am wrong. But, I have heard some negative comments about this in the past.

What type of fish etc do you have in each tank right now?
What type of cannister filter do you have?
Have you thought about a sump instead of a HOB filter?
Have you treated your 72 with any type of chemicals?

I'm taking it that you want to have a larger saltwater tank and that is why the switch? Is that right?

Gosh, I don't even think that I would attempt this. Mostly, because you are going to have to find a place to keep your fish and etc while you do the switch. Your saltwater tank will go through a cycle and that could take some time.

Maybe someone else here has done this and can let you know how they did it.

Personally, I think it would be a PITA but, I suppose can be done.
But, I do know that people will need a little more info about what you have in the tanks and any chemicals that have been put in them.

I switched a 20 gallon over to SW. I gave my dad the fish, he has a 30 gallon long and wanted them. We pulled the gravel out and switched over to sand. It is going to be a fish only, maybe live rock haven't decided yet.

RanRoc

Personally, I wouldn't use the black substrate in the saltwater...I would get new substrate, or use the one in the 30. I would also look into other methods of filtration instead of or in addition to your canister filter. I've read somewhere not to use the same filter media when switching, but get new filter media for your canister. HTH
-RY

Scooterman

I'll take a stab!

First, empty and clean the 72, if you Ever treated with copper in that tank you must remove it completely. There is post on that somewhere so I'll wait on that for now. If you don't have copper, clean the tank thoroughly, vinegar with RO/DI water is a good start. One thing is location, I'm sure you thought about that but SW & reefs may require some though as compared to FW, lots more equipment etc underneath. Some of your equipment like filter, lights can be used for starters but eventually they will need upgrading, to LR & Skimmer for example, your filter can be later used as a polisher filter for a few days then removed until next time needed, the media will also be limited to carbon & maybe phosphate removers but we talk about that later. Your filter will require weekly cleaning as to prevent nitrates from building up too high, although fish only can live with a small amount. I don't know if you've been reading but lots of people have been going bare bottom or CC thin substrate for the reefs. Fish only can be a little different but basically the same. I would use your LR and sand if you wish in the 72g. If you don't have Live Rock, I'd get some for bio-filtration, usually rule of thumb is 1.5lbs to 2 lbs per gallon, depending on the density of the rock itself purchased, it can be added little by little if necessary, just make sure it is cured if your adding to a tank with inhabitants in it. LR will be your main filtration alone with a skimmer. A good skimmer would eventually be needed to add to your filtration, better lighting & sump eventually. Don't panic, instead we have all the information you will need right here. Start off slow and lets discuss your plans first, then from there we can get you started in the right direction. Instead of looking at all I'm saying in a discouraging way, look at it as something that will be so wonderful in the long run, also with the combined experienced we can help you save tons of money and get you started on the right tracks. You can start with what you have and slowly work up to improvements, as not to break the bank. There is a few things in precedence you should get first, so instead of jumping in full force, take some time to get to know us & read up a little so you can ask the good questions like your posted here. We can start with getting LR from there, skimmer, lighting etc.. If you go reef one day you will also consider a method of keeping your calcium up, along with other water parameters in a balanced form but that can be saved for later If you ever go reef!

P.S. If I didn't say so before, Welcome!
Take off your shoes and stay a while!

David

I'd agree with Scooterman, a lot of work in cleaning the tank out can save you a lot of trouble in the long run.

Then again, I have seen a tank with freshwater Barramundi be slowly converted to salt water with the fish still in it with complete success.

Just playing devil's advocate, but to start with, I'd follow Scooterman's advice and scrub it clean good.

zensaiyan

lets see... in my fw tank i have an african knife fish, a black ghost knife fish, 3 cory cats, 2 plecos, 2 discus, and an arrowana. i know the arrowana will be too big, so i need to find somewhere for him to go. i am running an eheim 2217 canister on the big tank. the only medication ever used in the tank was maracyn two for popeye once.
this does sound like a lot of work to switch the tanks over. would it be easier for me to just save up and setup another sw tank? or maybe save up and buy a smaller tank for my fw and move them and my current equipment to that and then work on the sw in the big tank? i am not in a hurry to make a bigger sw tank, i would not mind taking it part by part. my plans for a sw big tank would probably be a peaceful tank with medium sized inhabitants. probably some wrasse, my clowns and current inhabitants, i wanted a dwarf fu manchu lion but i hear they will and won't work in the tank i am trying to setup. maybe some tangs or something.
those are my plans thus far. as for now... what can i do to help the sw tank? add more live rock? i have heard positive and negative about adding crabs, does anyone have any suggestions? a million questions and a million answers right? and then another million questions with answers. the sw tank i have right now is the first sw i have ever had. i have had several fw in the past, so i am trying to learn as much as possible about sw now. thanks everyone!!

Scooterman

Sounds like you have a good plan as for as fish, your Smaller Tangs usually make great Reef fish. If you plan on keeping your FW fish, either move them or start with a new tank for your SW. You could use the 30g for a good sump with only having to add a few dividers to make chambers, easy as pie to make. if you do go new with the tank get a reef ready, don't buy all the filters lighting etc, just the tank & stand, and a tall hood if you wish not to DIY any of it. If you do want to use what you have then move your FW to the 30g, you probably will have to find a home for the larger fish. Take your 72 & go to town cleaning it thoroughly. There will be no harm in using your sand but really I'd stray away from that also, we cab discuss that later. Set your 72 up with RO/Di water and whatever saltmix you plan on using, if your using a floater to measure your SG, bring it up to about 1.026! Set your basic lights up for now & from there, we need to get some Live rock! If you can, get about 100lbs to 150 for a 72g tank. If not then buy what you can, check your rocks thoroughly and pluck away whatever looks dead on them before adding.You can run your canister filter also but you will need to clean it often, until you do away with it all together later. Also look into getting a skimmer, you don't have to have it but it will be a major part of filtration, big help in being successful. If you do some reading, hit the beginners corner & you can find products etc, do some searching for some of your questions. I know there will be millions. So putting it simple, here is the three things you should first consider, LR, Skimmer, & lights. also a Sump is a good place to keep your skimmer & heater etc, so that also leads a question when purchasing a skimmer, you can go hang on & later replace it with a better one. I had a hang on but quickly went to sump but money sometimes will make those decisions for you. Before buying anything, post it here and lets us review & maybe help make money saving ideas. Ok your turn again, ask away! I hope this helps!

zensaiyan

wow that was really informative, thank you very much. i have been thinking it over and i think i am going to leave the fw alone. it sounds a hell of a lot easier to just do a new tank. but if i am going to get a new tank then i am going to save up and buy a bigger one than my 72. so i will probably wait awhile on that. but as i save for my bigger tank, i think i am going start purchasing equipment and things such as LR for the upcoming sw tank. maybe build a sump and have everything ready for when i do get the tank. if i build a sump for a new big tank, can i use it on my small 25 gal tank? will i then be able to remove the hob filter i have on it? or should i focus on LR and a nice skimmer first? i would be putting them in the 25. thanks

Scooterman

Ok, if your going new, them you may consider like you said, get some LR, for that 25g you can put about 50lbs max in it. If you do make a sump, I'd either wait until you get the big tank or make sure you have correct dimensions if you plan on putting the sump under the main tank in the stand, you will have to consider having extra room for future equipment, skimmers also can take up lots of room, so this is all needed to consider pre building a sump. Bigger is better also, so a big sump with about half water is also a plus. Depending on how long it takes to get a new tank, you could purchase lots of LR & cure it in big Rubbermaid tubs, this is done quite often. You will need salt mix in the water, a heater and a PH to circulate water, also you will need to change water out to remove waste from the curing rock. Also getting a good skimmer is a plus, so yes do some research & get what you can ahead, also use as much on your 25g if it will fit. Also, READ, READ, READ, please I can't stress this enough, this website already has almost all of the information you will need to be Very successful.

Here is some good starter reading, then a little more advanced, learn from there experience.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1137

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=15

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=28

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=29

Last edited: