Freshening up water containers

DarkHippo

Hi all

My faithful 25ltr RO water containers that I use to haul RO about in (and store for short lengths of time) are starting to smell a bit funky. Seems wasteful to bin them but I'm unsure what would be a safe cleaning agent to use.

They are jerry can style so there's no chance I'll be getting my arm in there. I thought about Milton sterilising tablets like the ones we used to get for baby bottles. What do you think? Any other suggestions? I've tried rinsing and the hose but so far without success.

Thanks!

DarkHippo

Thanks, cracker. I was just concerned about the ammonia in bleach, and that most products now cling to surfaces even after rinsing. I can always test for ammonia before I mix I suppose...

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I'd suggest that you UPgrade to containers that you can clean out & scrub the insides surfaces of.
They are not real expensive (at least they aren't here in the U.S.)
Food grade plastic containers with screw on lids are easily found. Have you looked for better options?

DarkHippo

Hi Diana, thanks for the upgrade idea. I've had a look for some different containers, but over here it seems to be jerry cans or shallow plastic tubs with lids that'll spill and generally be less stable. I'll have a go with the Milton fluid and see how it goes!