free chiller

doug

alls you need is 400 ft of 3/4 pipe and a shovel. i just installed a geothermal loop to the green house operation. no pumps needed . the water simply siphons from the main vat and runs through the ground then dumps in the sump. in at 78 out at 62 awsome results. now all i need to do is get an actuated ball valve on a temp controller and you have it

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Cool idea! ...literally.... :D

huummmm.... I suppose periodically you would need to pressurize the 400' of pipe with strong water flow to flush out any settled debris or wayward snail??

doug

the water is strained before it goes on its 400' cool down . will try a pump just to see how far i can push it before i see a temp rise , all in all the system is working so far

addict

That sounds like a great idea... once I actually get my own house I might have to look into this...

Do you have any idea on how many GPH runs through your 'chiller'?

It might almost be worth it to put a small pump on the line so that you can get a bit more output... but a 16 degree differential is awesome!

Also, how many gallons does 400' of 3/4" pipe hold?

I'm also having a tough time visualizing how your system can dump back into your sump by siphon if your piping is underground... is your sump also recessed below ground level?

doug

the bottom of the sump sits at ground level and the main vat is 3'6" above grade heres a pic

Attachments

• geodump.jpg
    geodump.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 77
  • geoloop.jpg
    geoloop.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

addict

Sweet! :clink:

Sorry I missed this when you posted it... looks like I have a project to keep in mind now. :D

doug

you are right and the flow has to be slow to lower the water temp that is why I have added a stall feature to the flow to allow contact time to lower the water to the desired drop