Free at the beach?

SoliSteve

Bill is correct there - even if it were legal, the streets drain into the ocean at most of the Jersey Shore so you would kill anything in your tanks. You need to go much further south to get good quality water.

Roks-Sharky

I was thinking about a few handfuls of sand. Nothing more than you shake out of your gear when you get home.

But I bought some live Carribean, so that's out of the questions now.

As a group, we might want to research the exact laws on these things. Different beaches might have different laws. Perhaps small amounts are okay, while harvesting for sale is not . . . .

I'm guessing there's no rules on macroalgae, 'cause who would want it?
Does caulerpa grow here?

Shells for your hermit crabs? That seems okay.

If you have a fishing liscence, this might allow you to take certain animals legally . .. . feeder fish?

You might say what's the point, but if you're vacation down there this summer and you come across something interesting, it would be good to know exactly what is permitted, right?

A tiny tank with stuff collected from the Jersey Shore is not unimaginable, this hobby is getting very popular. . ..

Roks-Sharky

In looking for a club that might have the answers to what can be collected I found two great sites.

A Wetlands Institute in Stone Harbor, apparently with a display tank like I described above (just Jersey stuff)

www.wetlandsinstitute.org

And a NJ Marine Science Club, with a Marine Science camp for kids in Sandy Hook.

www.njmsc.org

ooo one more site, non native species problems:

www.sgnis.org/wow/

They look like two fantastic clubs to consider checking out sometime in the future . . . .

silverant

Do not collect from the beach I made that mistake and it was from south Fla. alot cleaner than jersy shores toxins in sand caused my whole system to crash eaveryting died within 2 days of being introduced. Neaver a good idea I promise and if you buy the sand you atleast have someone to blame besides yourself

ReefLady

Staff member
Aside from the pollution / legality concerns, you're also talking a completely different "climate". I know some folks who have tanks which replicate the New England shoreline - but they are coldwater tanks w/a chiller. Specimens collected from the NJ shore would not thrivein the temps/conditions of a tropical reef.
The only thing I've ever collected locally is empty shells for hermits to grow into.

HTH,

billyr98

my friends did sand from the shore, it scratched the crap out of the glass and they hated the look! and then replaced it!

cracker

Your State's Fish and Game commision will have all the laws regarding collecting ornamental fishes, inverts , sand ,rock ,algaes etc. Be prepared to wade thru a ton of legal speak. IMOP the Fish & Game or Marine Patrol officer would frown on a truck load of sand but a half bucket for seeding might be OK. Any macros or fish,inverts etc is a differant story. Before collecting anything be real familiar with whats ok to collect. Especially You folks vacationing here in Florida! The FMC (Florida Marine Comm) officers don't fool around! As it should be.
WoodStock, I have also collected and still have snails and macro algae from Florida's east coast. What type of macro and snails did you collect?

cracker

Thanks Wood Stock, Ulva sargasso and Obsolata snails are commom here in NE FL. I used local beach sand in my last setup with no problems I rinsed it real good and got a lot of protein looking scum stuff then sun dried it 1st.

Cougra

Well, for any Canadians reading this thread and planning a trip to anywhere in the states to pick up something from the beach or even any livestock from the stores be warned that you need CITES permits to bring ANY living thing and even ANY sand, ANY rocks, collected sea shells (purchased with a recipt is ok), collected fossils (purchased with a recipt is ok), plants, algae and even collected water requires special permits. It's illegal to bring any of these across the boarder without declaring them.

I know that there are a lot of people who live along the boarder who frequently take day trips to the states to pick up a cool coral, cheap live rock or even some free macro algae. Be warned that this is illegal without the proper permits and is called SMUGGLING. If you get caught you can face up to a $10,000 fine (recent increase from the previous $2000) and / or up to 2 years in prison (this may be increasing as well). To top it all off should you be found guilty you wont be able to even visit the States again without having to apply for a VISA. Professed ignorance of the law is not an acceptable excess in the eyes of the court.
You'll also be pleased to note that after you've paid your fines and served your time, you'll be able to visit any live animals that make it through the boarder quarentine process at the Vancouver aquarium.

This could be the most expensive "Free Stuff" you ever collected.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I am scheduled for a 10 day vacation down there the end of May. I hope the water isn't murky like it was last time from the hurricanes.

cracker

I remember now, Sebastian inlet St park is a favorite place of mine it's between Melbourne And Ft Pierce .I plan to collect some LS from there soon.Thanks for the snail tips I will look for ceriths and nerites I will have to read up on them before I go.:)
http://myfwc.com/marine/recreational/recharvestmls.htm here are some general rules and collecting In Fl waters

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
That is where I go too! I love the manitees that hang out there. Very cool! I usually take a cooler, umbrella, and lunch when I go and hang out most the day :)