Fragging Shrooms

Cosmic

Howdy all,

Thought I'd put up a post describing different methods I've found useful when fragging shrooms. I want to start out by saying that if you have NEVER fragged a coral before, this would be an excellent place to start :) Mushrooms are very hardy, being almost indestructable IME. Mushrooms are a colonial colony consisting of many individuals. This means that even if you manage to kill one, the rest on that rock should not be affected.

There are several methods available to fragging shrooms, so I'll try to cover as many as I can. The first is by simply cutting through the main stalk of the mushroom polyp. This results in a free-floating "cap" and the remaining attached "stalk".
This method is one of the easier ones, but will only result in 2 shrooms from the original 1.
Some easy ways to propagate this way are to lift the rock with the target mushrooms out of the water, and holding upside down. The mushrooms will hang from the rock giving you an easy view of the stalk to cut.

Whenever attempting to frag corals, always try to make a single clean cut. If you have to saw back and forth, you are leaving that coral open to susceptible infection, so be warned.

Another version of the above approach is covered next. This alternate method will result in many mushrooms from the original 1, instead of just one additional. To perform this method, you simply take the above "cap" and slice it like a pizza, again using single clean cuts, NO SAWING. These additional pieces can be attached to a new rock with wedding veil (Tulle (sp?)) or fiberglass screening. Simply place the frags on the rock and wrap the whole rock in the tulle, wrapping a rubberband around the tulle to keep it closed.

Another method is said to be a much "safer" method of propagation, although I have had great success in the above methods. This method (which I have never tried) simply slices a single cut from the mushroom head's oral mouth out to the edge. This is said to promote nataural division of the coral, resulting in a more natural fragmentation than above methods. Because the open "wounds" of the coral are minimal compared to above, chance of infection falls dramatically. One drawback I foresee in this method is trying to cut smoothly when attached to a bumpy textured rock. However, this method also removes the need for tulle or other securing device, since the mushroom is still attached to it's original base.

Other needs for successful propagation involve the type(s) of lighting used. I have seen best success in shallow (40 Gallon LONG) tanks utilizing 4 NO bulbs, 2 50/50, and 2 actinic blue. Add a moderate flow rate and I have found mushrooms to split and multiply at obscene rates:columbo:

Hopefully this will enlighten you a bit to various methods of propagating mushrooms. Feel free to add your comments or opinions, as well as any other methods you may have used.

-HTH-
Cos

essmaker

PREMIUM
Thanks a bunch for the info Cos.

I have been wanting to try fragging a shroom, but have never been courageous enough to try. I think I now hear a exacto knife calling my name.:)

ScottT1980

Well said Cos...

Just to echo how hardy shrooms are to propagate. I just got some nice, neon green shrooms about a week ago and just set them in a tupperware container at the bottom of my tank on some LR. Well, it turned out it was a bit closer to my maroon than I would have liked. The next day, I notice that one of the shrooms was actually in the mouth of my BTA, probably had been there quite some time (thanks to the maroon of course). I quickly siphoned it out and placed it on some rubble in a better spot, and it has now attached and is growing well. The BTA didn't even phase the shroom...

Take er easy
Scott T.

SaltyQueen

Wow, thatks for the great info. I've had my freshwater tank for years, but I've only had my saltwater tank for about 6 months, so I haven't tried fragging yet. This sounds so easy and safe that I may actually try it! Thanks!

wooddood

the wood dude
thanks cos your a wealth of knowledge and i thank you. im glad we have you here.thanks again dave.

Curtswearing

I agree this is an excellent thread.

There are different methods of attaching mushrooms. They are so slimy they don't superglue very well at all.

Some people put the frags in a tupperware container filled with rubble in a low flow area for a while until the mushroom naturally attaches.

Other people stick a need right through the frag and into the rock (I've never tried this). Others use cotton thread and actually sew the mushroom to a piece of rubble and the thread decomposes (I've never tried this either).

One of my friends in my local reefing group uses pvc tubes filled with rubble and drops the frags in the tube.

I typically use the bridal veil method for propagating within my tank. If I'm trying to give someone an "instant frag" or trying to move the location, I will use a chisel, screwdriver, or putty knife to chip a little of the rock underneath the coral. In that way, it is already attached to rock.

Curtswearing

Oh stop it!!!

(Although for the last week or two, Rachel has felt like corals were my spouse). Gotta love her. She has been very patient over the last couple of weeks.

She doesn't understand the addiction just yet. However, she has been going to the LFS with me recently. She has also asked me questions like, how big of a tank do you need for XYZ? She is asking questions about FO or FOWLR tanks but she has picked up more knowledge than I thought she had. We might have another addict on our hands!!!

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Great thread Cos!

Congrats Curt for bringing another one to the dark side...Muhahahahaha:flaming: :flaming:

What is the best way to remove the mushrooms without them growing back? I have tons in my tank and they add a lot of color, but there are just too many of them.

RSM250 w/ Steve's LEDs