Fragging Madness . . .

cioutlaw

glasscages.com makes shallow tanks for growout.

I personnally dont like reef plugs simply because they are Ugly till grown over.
If I was doing a grow out tank I would buy rubble or make rubble to mount frags on.

You could have a sump/fuge with DSB or liverock & even keep some fish for bio-filter.

Wish I had the room I ould have a frag tank for sure. When I build a new sump it will have a grow out section.

mps9506

I did use little plastic golf tees for a while for frags since they were easy to trim down and easy to hide and coralline coverd the plastic quickly.
However they don't fit the eggcrate, you have fab up some type of holder for the tees if you go that route unless you have a sand bed to stick em in.

EagleEyes

Wow, i like golf tees! I didnt understand the idea of the egg crate. You just mount it on the cardboard egg crate and rip it off when you want to relocate the frag to your tank? And they are real egg crates right?

cioutlaw

Golf tee's would be MUCH better, maybe a piece of acrylic with holes drilled for the tee's would work.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Egg crate isn't what eggs come in. It's the plastic light diffusers you see in 2x4 flourescent lights in commercial applications. It's a grid of small square openings. Try looking at this link.. it should help
Its PROP time.... - Nano-Reef.com Forums

I LOVE the ideas of plastic golf tees!! I'll have to experiment with those and get them to work! Awesome idea!!

Allen

EagleEyes

Lol Ok, i have seen those, it was interesting to think that the actual egg crates would NOT break apart in water. What you should do is have a dense peice of penetratable rubber or substrate, then stick the golf tees into that like youre teeing up, until the frags are mature enough. Then just cut off whatever you dont want. (Dont tee off with Frags lol)

FateX8

i started up a prop tank this year and its 6'x3'x1'
barebottom, with a 30br as a fuge with a skimmer
about ~50 lbs of lr and chaeto
main thing about any tank no matter what its' purpose is is stability, so i ended up getting a nice size chiller
i'm using a 250w mh on my system with 75w actinics
im actually using the marble tiles from lowes as my mounts, theyre roughly 7/8"x7/8" each
they come in 12x12 square mats, but i also use lr rubble if i have any around
i only prop zoas do at the moment, though and wil get larger discs for the acans

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Yeah that's a 10g tank. Very simple in design and it was initially a test before plunking down the $$ on a larger tank but it worked out so well it's still in the 10g tank.

I'm thinking of something more shallow and cubicle so there is more surface area and easy access. But the racking system is what I am after more than anything else in that picture.

Allen

EagleEyes

Hey Billyr! Did you say that you didnt get any growth out of your T5s? I was looking at getting them for a 55.. can you theorize as to why you didnt get growth out of em? Did you ONLY have T5s? On Melev's reef, if any of you have looked at it, he has T5s and two metal halide bulbs. Do you think it was the specifications for light that your corals required?

billyr98

i have a frag tank running MHs and another with just T5s.. corals looks awesome under the T5s but I get no growth.. But the I get growth under the MH frag tank..

EagleEyes

Huh. I know people who have perfectly good growth out of their T-5's. They even have pictures. Weird, but good that you get it out of your MH's.