Fragging GSP

jesse_224

The time has come for me to start fragging my GSP. I have had this colony for a few months and it is about five times its original size. I have read that the easiest way to frag them is to lay smaller peices of rock beside the GSP and let it grow onto the rock and then cut the mat with a razor. When I bought my GSP it was not attached to rock, it was free floating in the LFS tank. My question is how do I frag the GSP this way? Do i just cut the part i want to frag off and then scrape it off the rock? Can someone clarify how I can frag it without having it grow onto smaller peices of rock?

mps9506

If you are careful you can sometimes "peel" the mat off the rock by going under it with a razor blade. This is not an easy way to frag it however. You can try it, it will take some practice, but not like the stuff is easy to kill, and if you do hack up the colony it grows back quickly.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I frag mine in tank. I have it growing on my overflow and glass so it is super easy to scrape off!!

Charlie97L

it should come off easily. i find it much easier to frag if it's on a rock "island" or the sand bed. that way you can just cut through it and pick it up. putting it on glass is another option, but i'm scared i'd get lazy about it and it would take over. :)

whatever works for you, is how to frag it. you'll have to work hard to hurt it seriously with a razor.

jesse_224

Thanks Charlie......I will be fragging it soon. I just got distracted building a new hood for my tank so the GSP will have to wait! LOL

jesse_224

I TRIED to scrape it off the rock. It didnt work out too well. I ended up getting a few very small peices....pretty small though. Maybe I will try again soon, but its pretty hard to get it off the rock in one peice. The funny thing is, is that when I was trying to cut the GSP my peppermint shrimp kept attacking my fingers. Every time my hand would stay still for a couple seconds he would land on my fingers and start pinching! Crazy little shrimp!

Charlie97L

ah, ok... well yeah, once it's encrusted. i'd place one piece on the sandbed, then you'll get a nice mat going. or let it grow off the rock onto the sandbed or the tank glass. then you get nice pieces. sorry i misunderstood where yours was.

jesse_224

Np Charlie. I did get a few very small peices, maybe they will stay alive and grow so I can start some to frag.