Fragging branching SPS corals

Cosmic

Hi folks,

Time again for another session of Frag workshop :)
This session I'm going to focus primarily on the branching varieties of SPS corals. I simply can't cover all the various species of SPS in a single thread, as there are too many growth patterns and methods depending on what coral you come up against.

With that said, this thread will be helpful if you have plans on fragging down corals such as branching Acroporas, Montipora digitata, Hydnophora, poccilopora, among many others. So feel safe that if it has branches, we can break it down safely.

Tools needed will be a good pair of latex gloves (You never want to touch the coral's tissue if possible, as it leaves the coral (and ourselves!!) open to infection), A strong pair of needlenose pliers, (a dremel power tool is optional here if the branch is extra thick), our tubs of water in which the fragging occurs, superglue, and some rubble rock for a base. Some people also prefer to use a 2-part plumbers epoxy, deemed safe for drinking water lines. I have found that the glue gets overgrown faster than the epoxy, but both will work fairly well.

Now that we have everything in front of us, we begin by taking the mother colony ut of the tank and put it into our first dish, the holding container. We eyeball the colony to decide where we want to take our frags from. I always recommend taking a branch from it's base, meaning where it ends into the main branch. See the red line in the picture below for example.

11frag_example.jpg

Some tips when taking frags, and that is to take them from ALL sides of the mother colony. This leaves the overall colony with a little bit of symmetry and not showing a single noticeably "GAP" in the coral.

Now that we have found where the frags are coming from, grab the branch you want to frag right at the base, where we want the mother to snap off at. You do not need to squeeze the branch per say, but leverage the pliers in a way so that the branch gets pushed down away from the main branch until it snaps off. For a clearer understanding, it's like hanging on a tree branch until it breaks off, but we use the pliers to "twist" to cause that break with a minimum of damage to both it and the mother colony. Squeeze too tight and you will shatter the base of your frag, leaving an explosion of calcium carbonate skeleton all over your table :D

Do not be afraid to take the mother out of water while looking for frag sites, and while doing the actual fragging itself. Many SPS corals are exposed to air and direct sunlight for a few hours everyday. As long as the coral's tissue is not dry, the coral should be fine. While at Macna this past year, Anthony Calfo was showing the conference how to frag various corals. While explaining to us, the corals were out of water for a good 1/2 hour or so at a time. I managed to receive one of those frags, ship it home the same day in sterile water, and it is growing phenomenally in my tank now. The point being these corals can take much more stress and abuse than people think, AS LONG AS they are healthy when doing so. Only frag unhealthy corals if trying to save a piece from a colony that is dying.

Ok, back to the next step, mounting. We have the frag in our hand, so to mount the frag to a base I like to use superglue. It sets fast, is durable long enough for the corals to overgrow, and is a clear color which doesn't detract from the coral when it's still young (They overgrow rather fast anyways, w/i a few weeks normally). I think the pH or composition of plumber's epoxy is not to the favor of corals, as they take a longer time to overgrow than on superglue, IME.

To attach it, apply a liberal amount of superglue to the exposed skeleton of your frag, making sure to cover ALL exposed skeleton, as well as overlapping a little live tissue too. Quickly set the frag onto the base and hold a few seconds until sturdy. At that point, when the coral is not in danger of falling over, I place the frag into a second holding container with fresh tankwater to Cure the glue, and allow the frags to exude a bit of stressful slime.

Separate containers for the mother and her resultant frags is a good idea. A new frag is open to infection with the torn tissue (yes, even SPS have tissue, just extremely thin), and a sliming mother colony is not exactly what the doctor ordered for open wounds. Soooo, we put them in a clean rinse instead to help keep mortality down.

It's been said that, when mounting frags, it's helpful to lay the coral on the base so as to have the tissue touching rock. I believe the philosophy behind this is that the exposed area will be one of fastest grwoth, in order to repair itself. by placing this side up, you get new coral growth faster. It is also said that the tissue exposed to rock will tand to drop and encrust the rock quicker. However, in my experience with trying both ways, I have not noticed a considerable difference either way. However, my frag holding tank is not setup to allow uniform conditions for all frags, so that may have scewed my opinion somewhat.

If you have taken more than a few frags from your mother, you're probably thinking how ugly it now looks with all those exposed white stubs. Have no fear as those will quickly overgrow, leaving you with potentially more branching sites for the mother to grow from. Those sites are usually the fastest growing, so within a month or two, it will be hard to distinguish where you took your cuts from.

After all is said and done, you should put the mother back into the same exact spot from whence she came. The frags would ideally go into a separate frag tank that simulates as close to possible the main display from which they came. In this, I mean wave and light intensities.

The branching SPS corals are almost as easy (If not more so) as the leathers and shrooms, Mainly because they are much easier to attach afterwards. The difficulty comes in increased mortality rates when dealing with these corals VS. the softies or corallimorphs.

So concludes this session of fragging workshop. If you have any questions or suggestions on this topic, feel free to post them!

Until next time,
Cos

wooddood

the wood dude
thanks cos.i have learned again.thats what it's all about.thank you again for sharing you knowledge.

Curtswearing

I love these threads Cos.

BTW---when you put the superglue on the rubble, plug, etc. if you dip it in the saltwater for a second, it will bind with the frag quicker.

Also, I recently read about someone who is gluing their frags to plastic golf tees. They said that this allowed them to place the frags in their display tank easily. I haven't tried this yet. I just wanted to pass on the info.

sharks

Contributing Member
Awesome thread Cos! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

At the Shedd tour they mounted all their frags and then placed them so they are lying horizontally. If you place a 1” frag vertically it will continue to grow vertically. If laid on its side it will force the coral to grow 2 or 3 new vertical shoots at a faster rate. It does mean that the bottom side may die but faster growth is preferred. I just did this with 2 new frags but it’s to soon to tell how well it works.

Here is a pic of the Shedd frag tank…
http://www.reefaquariumguide.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=224988

Does anyone have personal experience doing this?
S

Last edited:

Mary

Evil Angel
Great info Cosmeister! I haven't done any SPS yet and this thread helps me out. Thank you for posting it!

Curt, thanks for the golf tee idea!

Cosmic

Thanks for the Kudos folks :)

BTW---when you put the superglue on the rubble, plug, etc. if you dip it in the saltwater for a second, it will bind with the frag quicker

It's also a good idea if you need to make the glue attachment underwater. By allowing the superglue to "skin over" first, you can then attempt to glue the frag underwater to a rock. This works because the superglue UNDER the skin is still fresh and undried. When smashed open on the connecting rock, the fresh superglue grabs and holds things together.

Look for more Fragging series soon!

Cos

johnlewis

I was looking for this lesson. Well now it's time to make a clean break !

My purple tipped acro will be my first try.

dgasmd

Placing the frag like cosmic says on its size is good. They get a lot of encrusting before taking off upwards. The only down side I have personally found with this is that it actually takes so much lunger for the frag to look like a little colony normally does. It takes time to shape up even though it may grow faster.
A way around this I found and actually copied from Dr. Mac is to take the rubble rock where you are going to put the frag and make a hole in the middle of it with a drill. Make the hole ever so slightly of larger diameter than the base of the frag to be placed. Then, fill the hole with superglue gel and stick the frag in it. It sould be snug, but not tight since it will shred it trying to get it in. Some of the glue will come out and seal the base of the frag at the surface of the rock. Wait a couple of minutes and then place it in the water.
I have done this repeately with great success. Not only does the frag has a stable glue point so it won't break off easily, but they look right after gluing as if they have nee growing out of the rock for a while since you don't see the glue blob. From the begining, they look like a mini colony.
Obviously, this can't be done with all SPS. It works better with most acropra and montipora digitata, but as it is obvious it will not work at all with montipora capricornis and such.
Hope it helps someone else too. I'll try to find a couple of pictures.

dgasmd

The montipora capricornis I have been able to glue in 2 different ways. If the frag is large enough as in the picture below, I will lay it in the rock and only put gel glue in a couple of contact points with the rock. I don't like to put a lot under the frag because it burns the tissue from behind and it wither will take forever to heal and encrust or it will die soon.
The other way is to get a rubble rock or find a spot in my rock to be glued onto that has a groove. Then, put the glue in the edge of the frag and wait a minute or two. I then just glue it to the goove. This works well most times.