Fragging Bali Xenia

Koda2007

P1033811.jpg

Above is a Bali Xenia I fragged about a month ago ( roughly ). This was fragged by cutting at the base where it was already splitting naturally. I have fragged from polyps, which works but quite slow growing. Do you think it would be possible to cut through trunk vertically to create 2 or possibly 4 new trunks each with a head. Has anybody attempted this, the only info I can find is to cut polyps. As I have already succeeded in cutting the trunk ( granted not right down ) I thought it might be a good way.
Any input would be appreciated.

michael_cb_125

I think that would work fine. That is kinda how they split naturally. I accidentally smashed my xenia with a rock. Little pieces went everywhere, now I have xenia growing everywhere.

Koda2007

Thanks Michael,
I have quite a waiting list for people wanting this Xenia and as it not fast grower like elongata was looking for a better method to frag. I have found that the larger frags grow quicker.

PEMfish

I fraged mine once, like you, I cut off a branch of the trunk. But it was killed soon after. I wonder why the frag was attacked but not the mother. I figure I did something ( or something just was ) slightly wrong ( even though it seemed healthy ) and the predator sensed its weakness. Thats just a guess. Could be placement or size. How do yall suggest fragging them.
Sorry for the hijack.

Koda2007

No problems hijack away.

If its Bali xenia you want propagate I have cut off a number of polyp heads and placed them in a container with coral gravel. Place fine netting over the container and leave for a week. After a week the heads should be well stuck to gravel. All I do then is super glue some gravel to a rock and watch it grow into a small colony.
Another way I have tried is to let parent grow a number of knew trunks. When it is a decent sized colony you will be able to see the trunk splitting to form new trunk. As it gets near to splitting I cut verticlly down trunk and then along base with sharp blade. Sandwich this between 2 rocks ( gently ) in a week it will be attached.
Last night cut my last frag straight down middle verticlly, making 2 further frags. Placed on rocks with light rubber band. This am both frag polyps are open and extended, so it is looking good. I will give these a week or two and do exactly the same again if all goes well.