Fragging an RBTA

got2envy

I went to my club meeting on Saturday and our host (who has done this before) cut a beautiful RBTA in half...She has my RBTA's momma :)

Here is a vid...fun times :whstlr:

and pix of it the next day attached to rock
thebutcher005.jpg

thebutcher004.jpg

Maria

lcstorc

I watched Anthony Calfo do the same thing at MACNA last year.
For some reason BTAs seem to be very tolerant of physical damage but are still very sensitive to lighting and water parameters.

reefmasta

woww, ive never tryed to cut any but i havee succesfully grown about 10 from one mother she just spitts out. any special proceedure? or just like a huge coralmorph?

lcstorc

Very sharp blade through the center and done in one swift clean motion. Getting a piece of the mouth in each greatly improves your chances of success.
Personally, I wouldn't frag mine but at MACNA he was talking about no longer taking them from the wild, but instead having anemone farms where they are fragged on a regular basis similar to the way many corals are propogated in the hobby.

fivel

I like the idea of no longer having to leach them from the oceans by creating farms for this kind of stuff, but I would still be too nervous to ever hold a knife over my poor anemone, lol.