FoxFace toxicity

Warnberg

Has anyone ever been stuck by a FoxFace? The reason I ask is because mine is getting so brave I really have to watch sticking my hands in the tank specially when I am feeding or putting in nori on the nori clip. Just trying to find out how bad it is, what to do if you do get stuck and what are the symptoms?

boozeman

I remember posting a newspaper link ... an aquarist was stuck by a foxface and rushed to the hospital. I guess it all depends on your particular bodies reaction to the venom, what results in a rash to someone may result in shock to another

BoomerD

Agreed...each person's reaction to the toxins may be quite diffeent, HOWEVER, in addition to the sting, you also have to be concerned about the possibility of Mycobacterium marinum:(among many other types of infections you COULD get)
Mycobacterium marinum: The Fish Disease You Could Catch by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com
Alsays a danger in any situation where the skin is broken. A good friend's wife got slashed by the Sohal tang in his tank, (can't believe MY tang did that to her) and she ended up with quite a serious infection. Good thing she's a nurse and works in a hospital...She took lots of printed info on it to the doctor she sees, and he got her on a regimin of various antibiotics to fight it...Took several weeks for the swelling and redness to go away.
Here's more from our old friend Bob Fenner @ WWM:
WoundMgt

For MOST people, getting envenomated by any of the signids is just a bit worse than a bee-sting, but if you're one of the "lucky ones" who's allergic to such things, (I have been for 50 years) then getting stung COULD be fatal...

aquaman3680

I had a friend get slashed by a blue tang and the spine broke off his finger swelled up like a hot dog. He had to have surgery to get the spine out!

Matt

Snelly40

wow,be careful guys ,
my uncle got stung by his foxface and said his hand wnt numb for about 5 hours and yes it did feel like a bee sting when it happened. Then feeling came back with no ill effects

woolfe

My LFS guy got whacked by one and had a heart attack. Everyone in the store talks about it so I know it's true.

SueT

when we were taking my 180g down, I had a large fox in there. The guy that used to help me with my water changes got hit by the fox. His entire arm went numb. It did not bleed but you could see a hole in his thumb. After about 20min. he started getting sick looking and said he thought he needed to go home. This was a big guy and very strong. It ended up in that his entire arm went numb. He did not go to the ER but I bet I would of. Just please be careful, foxface fish are nothing to mess with. I have another and I';ve noticed this one is not near a panick-y as the other and it's come close to me also when I'm feeding or placing nori in.

Warnberg

Thanks for the replies, my FoxFace is a great fish just getting a little bold for my liking.

SueT

my 2 others were very skittish, I never had to worry about them getting anywhere near me. This one I have now is bold like you said. I like that it's not scared but it scares me just the same. I keep seeing that guys face turning green..

woolfe

OK I think I'm really going to show my ignorance here because I think I'm wrong before I even ask the question. Is it possible to make an aggressive fish friendly to you? Like if you always have your hand in the tank right from when he's small.

OK I think I'm really going to show my ignorance here because I think I'm wrong before I even ask the question. Is it possible to make an aggressive fish friendly to you? Like if you always have your hand in the tank right from when he's small.

It truly is possible, When I first got a baby Foxface Lo It would allways flicker Its fins around other fish. After a couple of weeks I guess It knew everyone and got pretty calm even around my damsels. I can even feed out of my hand now:D , In fact all I have to do is stick my fingers In the tank and It will rush right up to me. Kinda of cool I think.

Warnberg

Mine is doing the same thing, it will come right up to my fingers in the tank for food, it doesn't flair it's fins out at all. The other day when I was placing the nori clip in the tank (sticking it to the side) I didn't even see the foxface, then next thing I new it was between my fingers eating. I don't know if I scared him more then he scared me but I yanked my hand out of the tank very quickly. Fortunately I did not get stuck but I was home alone at the time and I wanted to know just how bad it could be. If I was really brave I could feed this fish by hand without an issue (as long as he didn't stick me).

Thanks for the replies all.

klc317

Mine is pretty brave also and he will run up and eat out of my hand if I let him which I try to avaoid...lol. If I don't have food and am in the tank moving things around or cleaning, he generally will go to his normal hiding spot and turn grey for awhile to hide. I don't think he would actually mean to harm me since he relates me being around with food, but I'm sure he could become startled and accidentaly stick me. I keep a close watch when I have my hands in there. Heres a pic of mine...he likes to lay in that green leather thing thats also in the pic...I can never get a pic of him when his lounging around in it though. He's around 5" long now.

05-29-06033.jpg