found these during cycle, what are they?

solaris11

IMG_20150129_2107541_zps4x7tok76.jpg

IMG_20150129_2109201_zpsqzrvp3b5.jpg

tank stalker

That's an asteria star I think I spelled that right. I get rid of all I find in my tank some say they can cause problems with corals and some say they are not a problem. I just don't chance it

something smells fishy

Oxylebius

Agree, it is a asterina star.

Debates have been numerous on if you should keep them or not. Some of these species are harmless grazers and other species apparently like meatier foods. One issue is that there are several species of asterina that look very similar and it is hard to tell them apart. Having several species makes it difficult to correctly ID if there is one species in the bunch that we should avoid. A second thing to consider is that they are like many creatures, sea stars are omnivorous. If given enough food that they like to eat, which is algae, they will only eat that. But once algae is limited they they will be forced to look for other things to eat, like polyps of corals.

If you want to keep them for now you can and if it gives you problems later on you can get rid of it. If you are worried you can get rid of it now.

I've have at least two of them in my tank right now and have had them in my tank for over 5 years (in my old 40g and they transferred to my upgraded 65g). I keep sps, lps, and one softie. No problems w/them. I find them on the glass late at night after lights out.