Formula 2 Frozen

newsalt

I picked up some Formula 2 frozen food to feed my fish. To feed it, I let a cube disolve in some water and then added it to the tank. Only thing I noticed though is that it's rather clumpy. It doesn't disperse well in the water. Since it's clumpy, it sinks to the bottom quickly before any of the fish get the chance to grab any. Anyone else experience this? Am I doing something wrong?

Brucey

I just hold the cude in my fingers and let the fish feed from your hand. If their not keen at first, just gentle squeeze and rotate the cube in your fingers and it will disolve at a slower rate allowing your fish to catch it rather than it all sinking to the bottom at once

It's also a nice interaction between you and your fish to get them hand feeding. Wouldn't advise this with volitans or triggers though . . . . :-o . . . . Ouch

HTH
Brucey

jimeluiz

I tried using a fork, once the cube has thawed in a little cup of tank water, to mush it up and break it apart. But the gel holding everyting together is pretty tough. I've taken to going at it with a pair of kitchen shears.

Otherwise, as you have seen, my cleaner shrimp and brittle stars snatch all the clumps and the fish lose out.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I hand feed my fishes like Brucey does :) They may be shy at first but not for long! This way you can be sure no food goes uneaten.

BoomerD

I thaw the stuff out in a small bowl, with some RO water in it. I then squish it up between finger and thumb into smaller pieces, and feed my tangs by hand...Yes, they eat outta my fingers... then, I feed the smaller pieces to the rest of the fish...no one ignores this stuff. Even the serpent and brittle stars get interested when it hits the water...

IshWish

I keep a small plastic cutting board in the freezer with my frozen food. I usually only feed a 1/2 a cube at a time so I cut the cube in half and then keep cutting the cube until I have small 1/10" pieces of food. I then add water to thaw the food and mash some of it up with my fingers. That way my tangs get big pieces and "Guppy" my yellow goby gets the smaller pieces.

Keeping the cutting board in the freezer means I don't have to clean it very often. I use the plastic dixie cups to thaw the food and also keep the used cups in the freezer for the same reason.

Just another way.

Witfull

feeding fish? hmmm novel idea,,,ill have to try that some time,,,lol actually i feed the 2 fish i have maybe once a week and they are fat feeding off of the tank. my fairywrasse is hunting all day and my maroon clown even hunts the rocks.

nigle

Oi!

I agree with BoomerD, make it soft and squeeze it. I also have a marble morter and pestle[sp?], it is great for 'mushing' up food like that. Sometimes you can make 'liquid' food like that with mysis etc. Just crush it into a 'slop'

There are 'steel' aluminum and marble ones at Bed Bath Beyond All Reasonable Prices for just $15 or there abouts. Stay away from the aluminum ones. They are great if you make your own mush since you can control the sive better than a food processor [I will miss you Julia Child, you taught me so much, sigh!]

Cheers!
nigle
!~!

Tosh_Auer

If you want food that will float for a while. Make your own! There are alot of recipes around and im sure someone will give you one before i get home from school to type my exact one in but if you want it to float, When your blending it up just wait until its really airy and foamy. This way once you have defrosted it , it will float. just an idea

Tosh