Fluffy again :)

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
I had a Black Volitan's for 8 years in a 35 Hex tall. He was almost 12" when I pulled him out and gave him away. Same one that put me in the ICU for 2 days :lol: He was 3 " when I got him ;) The tank also had CBB for 8 years and a Ritteri anemone for 2 years. And a 8" spiny lobster for 4 years

Boomer

Ah nope, Their LD-50 is equal to a King Cobra. Both are at about 0.8- 1 mg/kg. It is how much venom you get ( cobras lots) and I got hit buy the two largest dorsal spines in my left hand. Venom can effect people differently, i.e. Male, Female, weight, etc. and you do not have to allergic to hit. Besides, you can not be allergic to something useless you have been subjected/exposed to it a first time. Although it can be genetic, like from a parent. This was my first time. There are no known deaths from Lion's yet but many have spent time in the hospital. Usually it is mild like a bee sting. Sometimes it is much less than that. It depends. Its cousin, the stone fish, is/can be deadly.

Boomer

D_am I must be sleeping Craig :) Dwarf is the way to go unless one is set on "V" or a "L" or "R". Even an Antennata, same size as a Dwarf and much more stunnning

MAL%2099-16.jpg

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Wow... I'venot seen that in any LFS... very nice fish! *makes a note for antennata*

Is the venom in every lion the same? Sounds dangerous... I am such a lightweight a strong sting would be very bad.

Annie742

OH I thought you meant a Russells lion, cause thats what I got in the 90 gal.
And I was told putting that lion in a 90 was kinda small.
Sorry:lol:
I don't know anything about the dwarf lions.

I see the V. lions mostly in the pet stores around here, and they are pretty. But I wouldn't trade Fluffy for any of them now!

I have only seen 1 Antennata lion fish but it was really pretty! But then again like I said I really don't know anything about other types of lions.

I don't think one can tell the difference in the sexes of the fish.
He gets fed about every 3 days. I feed him lots of different stuff I get from the stores (people stores). All sea foods.
He will eat anything anymore :) I never give him live foods! Took to long to wean him off it.

I always put Fluffy in bucket when I clean the tank, cause he/she is always around my hands when I have them in the tank. And I do not want to get stung!!

Boomer

Annie

The Russel is very similar to the "V" only it does not get quite as big. If is often sold as the Red Volitans Ant's are usually pricey. A similar lion to the Ant is the Radiata, which get a little bigger thant the Ant. No you can not tell the sex. Bucket is a god idea also, I hope you don't use a net

28_1_b.JPG

Woody

No the are not the same in toxicty The Volitans is about the worst of the Lion's. To be safe many ware rubber gloves. Some of LFS or online stores sell these gloves. They go right up to elbow. They do not come after you like some fish do, it is a issue of you/us getting to close. If you are foot away you are safe.

Pterois%20radiata.jpg

Annie742

Boomer thanks for the info.

Why not use a net?? It don't seem to bother him, am I wrong doing this? Can this hurt him? I don't want to hurt my fish!!
If so should I just use the gloves? I have read in some forums that they can sting through the gloves.

He don't come after me, he just swims up to my hands because he thinks i'm gonna feed him LOL.

I use to try and keep him away with a big plastic spoon. Just kinda pushed him out of my way, but I couldn't keep an eye on him all the time. So that didn't really work.

Woodstock, I think you would really like the lions! I love mine, he is so cool.
But like Boomer says they don't come after you to sting you, most of the time the person is at fault for not keeping an eye on the fish. I'm very careful with Fluffy, but I wouldn't trade him for the world :)

The tank is right beside my computer and he is almost always looking at me through the glass LOL. Him and my clownfish :)

Cougra

When you use a net with a fish with long spines, it's very easy to break or damage the spines/fins. They can easily get entangled in the net and it would be very difficult to remove the net without being able to touch it.

The gloves are a good idea to have. Also, have you considered getting a partition for the tank? That way you could work on one side while the fish is on the other side. Once you are ready to clean the part where the fish is, simply remove the partition, gently usher the fish to the other side of the tank and replace the partition until you are done cleaning. This way you minimize the stress on the fish and stay relatively safe while cleaning. You just need to keep an eye out for the fish while you are cleaning near the partition if the spines can fit through.

Craig Manoukian

This is my favorite dwarf lion fish!

Dendrochirus brachypterus
Common name: Dwarf fuzzy lionfish
Maximum size: 7-8 inches, minimum tank size: 30 gallons

Great article Boom!

Boomer

That is funny looking lion Craig :). You can not use our ReefKeeping Magazine imgaes. There is a code in the image that always prints what you see when you try to post it elsewhere. You would need to save it.