flow

i currently have a nano cube 28 i have two power heads for my return my question is there 1000 L/H
is that good or should i upgrade ive have my aquarium for about 2 years ? what do yall have in ur nanos?:ponder2::ponder2::ponder2::ponder2::ponder2:

BLADEYAMAHA

I have a 50 Ga||on DT, I f|ow 1200 GPH through it at |east into my refugium and back to the DT, then I have a 75 ga||on Aquac|ear power Head b|owing across the back, and two power heads b|owing from the front to the back down |ow at 400 GPH at |east, that Aquac|ear power head moves about 800 GPH by itse|f and then I have my two in|ets f|owing into the tank at one side at 400 GPH and the other side at 800 GPH

DaveK

Here is the thing. The amount of flow you want depends upon what you want to keep in the tank, Most corals and fish can take a wide range of flow, as long as they can adjust to it slowly,

All the flow need not come from the main filtration system. You can easily add flow pumps or powerheads to the main tank to increase flow.

Personally I like to see a flow rate of about 5 to 6 times the volume of the water per hour. More is possible, and can easily be done.

powderkat

"Personally I like to see a flow rate of about 5 to 6 times the volume of the water per hour. More is possible, and can easily be done.[/QUOTE]"

So if the coral requirement is low or moderate flow, what volume of water would you recommend?

DaveK

Generally it's extremely difficult to get the desired flow rate you want from the filtration system alone. You almost always need to supplement it one way or another.

Rather that worry about a number for the flow rate, start off by adding a powerhead or flow pump that you can adjust. That way you can set it to what ever you need. If you have it at max and it's still not enough add an additional pump. Of course, if you have a big tank, you might want multiple pumps to start.

steved13

PREMIUM
i currently have a nano cube 28 i have two power heads for my return my question is there 1000 L/H
is that good or should i upgrade ive have my aquarium for about 2 years ? what do yall have in ur nanos?:ponder2::ponder2::ponder2::ponder2::ponder2:

While you do want to turn the tank over 5-6times the type of flow is more important. If your tank has been up and running for 2 years it will provide the answer. How are the livestock doing?

"Personally I like to see a flow rate of about 5 to 6 times the volume of the water per hour. More is possible, and can easily be done.

So if the coral requirement is low or moderate flow, what volume of water would you recommend?

These are 2 different questions. If I have a 10,000 gallon aquarium, with a 1000gph powerhead and I put the coral directly in front of the powerhead I've put in in a high flow location...even though I have very low in the tank.

I would describe moderate flow as the coral is being moved by the flow, but not being pummelled by it. Also, "low flow corals" sometime do very well in "high flow" areas...the best bet is observation and let the coral tell you what it needs...place it where you think and leave it for a while and monitor then adjust if needed.