Flow

tommyboynj

Heres a vid of my 75. Looking for opinions on flow. Right now I have 2 controlable koralias (3 & 4), 2 nano koralias and a mj 900 on the back wall. This is giving me about 35/40 times turnover. I'm really wanting o get rid of some of the addition pumps and up my flow. Based on my rock work do you think 1 mp40 or two mp10 would be better.

[YOUTUBE]Tank Vid July 30th 2012 - YouTube[/YOUTUBE]

softreef

Hmm, that's a tough call. My first thinking is one MP10 with one MP 40 or the MP40 with one of your larger Koralias on the opposite side for turbulence.

reefer gladness

Two MP10's in my smaller 58g tank work good in anti-sync mode and I run them well under 100%. I would think two for your 75g should be fine also. The MP40's are nice because of the wider flow but if I was choosing between 1 MP40 and 2 MP10's I'd go with the MP10's. The benefit of having a strong pump on the opposite side of the tank really helped eliminate dead spots in my tank.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Its all about random flow covering all parts of the tank. I have 2 mp40s and a mp10 on my 120.....the mp40's are at about 40% and the mp10 is around 60%. it might be a waste but i had the mp 10 laying around and since you can sell them for $10 less than what you paid after a years use its a good inventment!

tommyboynj

Thanks guys. Anyone else want to way in on this? I actually just picked a used tunze nano wave box for a good price. I thinking that and 2 mp10s will get the job done. I can always put the controllable koralias on the back wall and get rid of all the other junk

Richard 1

I also have a 75g mix and I've been using the nano wavemaker for about 3 months now and I'm very pleased with it. Great wave action and it will kick up a bunch of junk out of your rocks at first, in fact my sps were not too happy with it at first but after 1 day I got great polyp extension.

TylerHaworth

Two MP10's is not enough for a 75, and unless you have very open/minimal rock a single MP40 is not going to cover the entire four feet of the tank by itself. My vote is MP40 and MP10 at a minimum.

zchauvin

Two MP10's is not enough for a 75, and unless you have very open/minimal rock a single MP40 is not going to cover the entire four feet of the tank by itself. My vote is MP40 and MP10 at a minimum.

+1

Two mp40s would be your best bet I think. You won't have to run the pumps at full capacity and you can really churn up all that crap.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

tommyboynj

Im leaning toward 1mp40 to start. Ill put my two koralias on the back plus ill have the wave box. Down the line ill sneek another mp40 past the wife. This way those pumps wont be redundent when i go big in a few years

BLADEYAMAHA

Im leaning toward 1mp40 to start. Ill put my two koralias on the back plus ill have the wave box. Down the line ill sneek another mp40 past the wife. This way those pumps wont be redundent when i go big in a few years

I think this will be your best bet.

Willie McDaries

I think this will be your best bet.

I agree with blade,my tank is 8 feet long,I'm running 1 MP60 on 1 side with a Hammerhead and OM 4way CL,I plan to add another MP60 to the other side next income tax season and either throttle the hammerhead way back,replace it with something less power hungry,or take it out completely,depending on how much flow I get from the MP60s.....

IMO always get bigger equipment than you need,especially if it can be tailored to fit you need at the time...I believe that 2 MP10s would probable be enough with the other pumps you already have but 2 MP40 would rock in your tank by themselves and eliminate a lot of the eye sores,I hate powerheads in site.....the Vortechs don't stick out like a sore thumb but the MP60 looks like a sub-woofer mounted in my tank LOL I love the fact that there's no wiring in the tank,that alone make me love the look of the vortech pumps

tommyboynj

Thought I'd circle back on this. Ended up with my mp40 on the side opposite the overflow set at 60% reef crest, 2 k3 on the back and the nano wavemaker in the back corner opposite the overflow. This tank is rocking it now for sure. Love the random flow of the vortech combined with the tunze. Kicked a lot of crud the first day with all this running. On my next tank I'll use a similar combo but throw in some mp10s and get rid of the koralias