flow and circulation - how?

Jason1

I have had my tank up and running for just about a year now and I don't think I have ever taken a look at the flow in my tank or read anything on how it should be set up in the tank.

As of right now, I noticed that I dont really have anything uniform in my tank for flow. Here is a drawing of what i have going on (hard to understand sry).

flow.png

here are my low flow areas

lowflowareas.png

My question is, how am I supposed to set these up? Should I be having a circular current in the tank? does it matter that 2 different flows clash?

thanks for the help

bennyd

Everything that I have read and have been told, flows clashing is the best thing in our aquariums...

When water molecules colide, they go in random directions and not a set path, causing more differentiating patterns in flow. Which is what we want, "random flow."

This is what I have gotten out of the things I've read and people I've talked to, I am sure someone will step in and correct me if I am wrong.

tnwillia

I've read same as BennyD. Ocean is not consistant and flow always changes. This is why wave pumps are set up to push from different directions in tanks. But, I've been wrong more than once. Good Luck!

Flow should be adequate enough so that detritus does not settle and accumulate on the substrate. My reef tank is set up with a wall of live rock in the middle and 3 powerheads are set up to keep steady flow throughout the front and back of the aquarium....