Florida dives

Tasslehoff

I've only made dives in the waters off of Pensacola.
I've just booked an Orlando, Daytona, Key West trip probably in April. (Three days each)

Any dive advice on these areas would be great.

Tass

mwrager

Nice Tass, I have never dove in that area. I have mainly dove off of Southern California, being I am from AZ. I had shoulder sugary in September and my Dr said I may be luck to dive by April, but he was for sure by June and for things to see or do I have seen a few links that you may want to check out.

http://www.keyshistory.org/pennekamp.html
http://www.pennekamppark.com/
http://www.pennekamp.com/
http://www.floridastateparks.org/pennekamp/default.asp
http://www.abfla.com/parks/JohnPennekamp/pennekamp.html

Tasslehoff

Hey rager

Good luck with the shoulder. I had knee surgery last Feb 14. made my first dive two weeks ago (Pensacola again) It pushed the knee but I made it.

Really listen to what the PT people (AKA people torture) have to say and follow their advice. It really makes a difference in the recovery. Even though some of their ideas sound like lunacy. 2 days after the surgery she had me do 8 miles on a stationary bike.

Tass

mwrager

Originally posted by Tasslehoff
Hey rager

Good luck with the shoulder. I had knee surgery last Feb 14. made my first dive two weeks ago (Pensacola again) It pushed the knee but I made it.

Really listen to what the PT people (AKA people torture) have to say and follow their advice. It really makes a difference in the recovery. Even though some of their ideas sound like lunacy. 2 days after the surgery she had me do 8 miles on a stationary bike.

Tass

I agree they are PT people. I only go to them once per week new. And Lifetime Fitness 2 per week, for a total of about 4 hours a week working on my shoulder. I do the arm bike for about 1 1/2 hours a week for about 30 miles.

Cougra

Hey Tass: Will you be taking photos while diving? I hope you have a great trip! I dove Panama City Beach area and loved it, then was told it was nothing compared to diving the Keys!

The one thing I loved most about diving in the Gulf was not having to wear a suit of armour....errr... wetsuit. (Can you say freedom!!) The funniest part about the dive is the divemaster and others on the dive complained about the chill in the water! Chill, they know NOTHING about chilly waters!

Tasslehoff

Hi Cougra

Unless Tim Allen brings me a U/W camera for Christmas I'll have to do without. I know I could rent but I'm about the worst photagrapher you ever saw. I'll just have to play it by ear.

I guess you could get a few thermal inclines in your waters. I was in Toronto/January about 3 years ago. Brrrrrrr! Panama City is about 30 miles East of where I usually dive. See any Queen Angels? Usually huge ones in that area.

Tass

SZHTTM

I don't know if you have the time to acquire some books, but here are a couple that are abosultely awesome guide books for diving in Florida...
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_2/002-9007580-4088048?v=glance&s=books

You might also be able to look through some of the SCUBA magazines at one of your local book stores to see if there is any advertising for diving in Florida.

You can't go wrong with diving at John Penecamp in the Florida Keys. There only problem is that you are staying at Key West, and John Penecamp is on one of the first islands just off the main land to the North. But, if you can make it (probably about a 2 hour car ride from Key West), you won't be disappointed!!!!

Don't get me wrong, there are also some very nice spots off of Key West!!

The books I stated above are for all of Florida, so they can help you in Orlando, Daytona, and Key West.

As another suggestion, depending on the time of the year, you may want to book your dive trip charter ahead of time. Some charters get booked about two weeks ahead of time in the Summer.

Let me know if you want some phone numbers to a couple of local dive shops. They may be of use to you to sschedule trips or just for information.

Don't forget to bring your C Card!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck & Have Fun!!!!!!!
:thumbup:

Last edited:

Tasslehoff

Wow I'm looking at all of these links and maybe I better call back and take 3 weeks in each place.

Thanks for the help.

Craig Manoukian

Tass,

When you get done with the Atlantic side, make sure you book a return trip to the Gulf side from Tampa Bay south. It will knock your socks off and tons of places to dive. The beaches are so white and powdery, they are to die for!

:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

Cougra

Tass:

I saw one beautiful Queen while I was there! It was amazing and it just sat around while I took it's photo! I don't have a great camera, but it's better then nothing, and makes diving a little more challenging! lol

As for thermoclines, I hit the first one at 2 inches of water when diving in some of the lakes around here! The worse one I hit was at 52 feet, temp dropped about 15F and my buddy when into shock. Scared the hell out of me since it was my first dive after being certified as well and didn't know what to do. Took a lot of work to get back into the water after that!

Last edited by a moderator:

joe@inreef

Sponsor
A cant miss dive site off Marathon, is the Thunderbolt. Excellent dive, about 80 feet of water. While you are in Marathon, Sombrero Reef is an excellent Spur and Groove reef. Not too far from Marathon is Looe Key, perhaps the best protected reef in The Keys. The best bet here, is to dive very late afternoon, for the best marine life. If you do ever want to dive the Gulf Coast of Florida, the best dive site is the Florida Middle Grounds. Tons of big fish, lots of deep water corals and tropicals. This site is an advanced dive, as it is 80 to 170 feet, and a 80 mile ride from shore. We usually fish and dive these waters several times a year. I have dove all over Florida and the Carribbean, and the middle grounds is my number one dive destination. BTW.... your best bet is to do the Florida dives in Late April or May. Best time for dive conditions.

Last edited:

Cougra

Welcome to the sanctuary joe@inreef! Thanks for the info on the dive sites and times! I'll know when to plan around for my next dive trip to florida!

joe@inreef

Sponsor
What is everyone into on dives?? Spearfishing, collecting, or picture taking??? Personally, I do all three, with spearfishing, usually being the top priority. If anyone is into spearfishing, I have some good pics to share with you.

joe@inreef

Sponsor
Even the cheaper ones work real well for basic pictures. I used a 100 dollar cam for quite a few years, before I upgraded last month. However, I am not sure it will make my pics look any better, as I am a terrible photographer.

ReefLady

Staff member
Let me tell ya ... looking out my window at about 2' of snow is making me drool all over this thread. :D

A cant miss dive site off Marathon, is the Thunderbolt. Excellent dive, about 80 feet of water. While you are in Marathon, Sombrero Reef is an excellent Spur and Groove reef. Not too far from Marathon is Looe Key, perhaps the best protected reef in The Keys.

I agree with this 100%. I've dove Pennekamp, Key West, and the "middle keys" several times, and Looe reef is awesome. Out of the three choices (Pennekamp, Looe, & Key West), I'd pick Looe first, Key West second, and Pennekamp third. Pennekamp is beautiful, just a little crowded for my taste. Sand Key off Key West is nice...though I did have a little "skirmish" with a Nurse shark there once. :cool:

Even though Marathon is my favorite diving place, I always seem lured to Key West ... nothing like the atmosphere there. Why do I have to choose? Dive or hang at Hog's Breath Saloon .... dive or Hang at Hog's Breath .... LOL

What is everyone into on dives?? Spearfishing, collecting, or picture taking?

Well, if you were to ask my husband (aka dive buddy), he'd tell you that I'm into "chasing the fish" while I leave my dive buddy behind. :shades:

Joe - I'd love to see those pics!

joe@inreef

Sponsor
Grin..... I just cant seem to stay away from Sloppy Joe's. Many nights, my wife has had to drag me out of there. I have spent many days on the boat with a Sloppy Joe's Hangover. I will resize the pics and post some on here in the next few days.

Cougra

Your allowed to go spearfishing?!? It's illegal up here.

I personally love watching everything and when I remember that i have a camera I take photos! Even though it's not the best camera in the world, I'm still able to share my experience with those poor unfortunate people stuck above the waves...now need more time to get out there and dive!