Flesh fall out.

Reefstick

Okay so here is the problem.
Two days ago my arco. was starting to show signs of stress (ie... polys not fully extended and so on) today I went home to eat lunch and noticed that the base of the coral was lossing flesh, peices of the coral were just falling off. I think I know what to do to help but I need some advise.

I am thinking of a iodine bath, and if it keeps it up I am going to frag it.
I have had this coral for almost a year now..... and not quite sure what was or is causing this to happen. But anyhow, here is what I think it might have been.
#1 Joe's juiced some Mojonos in the same area a week ago.
#2 Tourch coral stung it a few days ago.
#3 I put a new emerald crab in 3 days ago. (I know they are trixie and I had one eat an entire frag of acro. once.)

Anybody have some insite as to what I sould do?

Stickel:confused:

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
The tissue damage could be caused by any of the possibilities you stated. I once had an acro to RTN all over less than a day :( If the tissue errosion continues to spread, frag it. Dipping it may stress it even more?

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
What are your parameters cal/alk/Mag ? Do you have direct or indirect flow over your coral ? Have you had any sudden temp. spikes ? Have you added new bulbs ? What type of lighting are you using ?

Reefstick

Hey Cheeks

Here we go, in-order.
Cal = 450
Alk = 8-9
Mag = don't know.
Indirect flow.
No temp spikes, but it is at 80 degrees (day) and 78 degrees (night).
No new bulbs since Dec.
I have 2x 110W Act. White URI-VHO's, 1X 110W Sup. Act. URI-VHO, and 2X 175W MH 14,000K. All of this is over a 75G reef tank.

Reefstick

Here is a pic. of the tank from three or four months ago.

IM005651.JPG

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
The parameters all appear fine...are you dosing anything like vodka, trace elements, Iodine etc. ?
It seems odd that you'd get an acro RTN especially one that's been in your tank for a while for no apparent reason. I had a tri-color RTN in less than 24 hours because of a ph that lost it's suction and was directly hitting it and didn't notice.

SueT

if the tissue flaking off isn't too large of an area, you might try to super glue gel it like a bandage type of thing. Sometimes that works.. least it has for me.

Reefstick

cheeks69 said:
are you dosing anything like vodka

LOL
No, but We did a massive water change on Sunday, because the Nitrates were at 15+ That might have triggered it. The last time this happened was Dec. of last year before I put the MH's on the tank. It happened to a lil' frag of arco.

I guess at this point, it could have been anything.