Flatworm

I have a newly started tank and got live rock about 2 weeks ago. I noticed a flatworm (not the pretty, colorful type - the clear, ghost-like kind that have a round head and a v-shaped tail). Anyway, it seems like it's reproducing at a very fast rate. I counted about 6 or 7 of them today. Are they harmful? I don't have corals or any fish just yet, but wondered if these little critters should be removed before I add fish.
Thanks!

NaH2O

Contributing Member
jkhalliday76 - I had those white flatworms (look like the Star Trek symbol)early on in my tank's life, and they disappeared on their own. They are different than the red planaria kind, and are not completely affected by flatworm exit. They eat pods, but I don't feel they effect pod populations to a detrimental level. I left mine alone and enjoyed them as part of the tank's diversity. You can see the differences in the various flatworms from this website: Flatworms

Here is a thread showing another hobbyist image from RC: What I thought were red flatworms

Here is a thread on these guys from my tank: White Flatworms

Thanks, very helpful information! I'm going to try to suction the ones I see out, as well as vacuum my crushed coral bottom and see if that at least slows them down a little. I counted 15 this morning....they freak me out! Especially now that I know they release a toxin into the water when they die...thank god I don't have fish yet.

Ok, well I've been suctioning most of the day! Wow...what a flatworm outbreak. I'm sure I didn't come close to ridding myself of them, but everytime I see one I suck it up! Luckily I also need to increase the salinity, so sucking up the water is actually a good thing at this point. I'll just top it off with more saltwater instead of freshwater. I'm about 3 weeks into cycling, but I decided I needed more live rock, so I bought some online. Will it be ok to just add it to the tank after a quick swish through saltwater? The website said the rock was totally cured.

Witfull

any liverock ordered online, even fully cured rock will have some die off due to air exposure, drying, and temp fluxuations. since your tank in new and still cycling, i see no harm in a swish and 'scaping. you night get a spike, might not~