Flatworm - Acoel Planaria

leahski

what do the rust colored ones actually eat?
i definately have a good population in my tank that i've been battling by physically removing them them from the glass, but i've recently discovered them on my substrate and rocks.

i heard that when you use flatworm exit you have to be careful to remove most of the worms first so that they don't produce toxins when they die that will pollute the tank...is this true?

rlcline76

That is what I also understand, Leah. You might want to do it and have water ready for a change when you are done. You can try siphoning them out with a turkey baster when you do it (whoever thought that a turkey baster would be a multipurpose tool???). You could also try a wrasse...they might help take care of the situation. This is all depending on what you already have in your tank and what you want someday. Sometimes biological control is just as dubious as chemical.

leahski

yeah, a wrasse really isn't in the picture. i have an 8g and i'm saving my fish inches for a firefish goby and maybe another tiny one eventually...

so you recommend that they need to be disposed of? i wasn't sure if they really posed any threat to my tank since it will be softies and a goby...no acro or sps.

leahski

my water is pretty good. before yesterday, i had only CUC and 3 sexies and some shrooms and zoas, wasn't dosing or feeding anything, so water chem has been pretty stable. ammonia and nitrites 0, nitrates hang around 10 (i think...) pH is stable...and that's all i'm testing for.
i need to pick up a new test kit, but the one i have always gives the same results.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I got my flatworms from newly purchased corals. It is VERY important that you inspect the surroundings of a possible purchase very carefully for such things as flatworms and aiptasia.

Now, I QT all new corals (and anything WET) to prevent any undesirable creatures from getting into my reef.

so you recommend that they need to be disposed of? i wasn't sure if they really posed any threat to my tank since it will be softies and a goby...no acro or sps.

There are many different types of flatworms... some eat ditritus, some algae, others corals. If yours are not bothering anything, you can leave them alone. Some people say their population will dwindle with the food source. Just do not trade corals with anyone otherwise you will spread the flatworms to other reefs.

jthomps123

Update on my red/rust flatworms. They still continue to accumulate in my sump in epic proporations, but have been invisible in the display tank. I attribute this to my green mandarin, who is extremely fat.

tomshannon

Hi Tori,

In answer to your question(s), and given that you have Convolutriloba acoels (rust/red flatworms) they don't pose a threat to your tank despite conventional "wisdom". I answered a similar question on another forum site but will repost it here as well:

Bear in mind that I am only speaking on behalf of Convolutrilobids...

1) Will they damage my corals?

Absolutely not. Contrary to popular belief they do not feed on coral tissue, nor do they obtain their algal symbionts from corals, through consumption or otherwise. The acoel symbionts are "green" prasinophyte algae, most likely Tetraselmis sp. Corals, on the other hand, harbor "brown" dinoflagellate algae of the Genus Symbiodinium. Convolutriloba feed on tiny crustaceans or crustacean larvae, rotifers, and other tiny invertebrates; not diatoms, as is commonly assumed. They are ambush predators.

2) Will they eat something beneficial?

Depends on what you're calling "beneficial". Will they eat the pretty macro-stuff in your tank? No. They will, however, compete with other critters in your tank for resources such as copepods, Artemia, etc., but no more than any other carnivore/omnivore. The main difference that becomes apparent rather quickly is that their population growth responds much faster to changes in resource (food) availability than that of larger "desired" invertebrates and fish. Please note, however, before worrying that they will starve out your corals and wipe out your copepod populations, that their numbers will fall in response to resource scarcity just as quickly as they rose in response to resource abundance.

3) Will they produce toxins when they die?

No, but they will if they are killed. When food is scarce the acoels will begin to starve, and just like most other animals, starvation leads to rapid weight loss. The Convolutriloba cannot survive indefinitely on algal photosynthesis alone. Before these animals die from starvation, they are so small and depleted that upon their death their bodies contain little or no toxin. When the acoels are killed, however, be it by chemical warfare, salinity changes, temperature changes, predation, maceration, or squishing, they will release a potent toxin and make life pretty miserable for the other tank denizens... Food for thought: the death of a medium-sized tang, if unnoticed, will cause a spike in a tanks ammonium levels and make everyone's lives just as miserable; but you never hear anyone preaching to KILL KILL KILL all medium-sized tangs.

4) They're ugly & icky.

So's my aunt. She's even got a moustache, but I'm not about to condone her eradication or banishment from the biosphere. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

5) Reef wisdom says they will block sunlight from corals.

Reef wisdom ain't as wise as it thinks it is ;). For the most part, Convolutriloba don't like hanging out on coral; corals sting. They are more often found along the bottom edges and corners of tanks, on live-rock outcroppings, or just outside of shadows on the substrate. This isn't to say that they never climb onto corals (certain Sarcophyton capitulae seem to attract them at times), but unlike some Waminoa species, it's not their usual modus operandi.

6) A year or two is too long to wait for most hobbyists.

That is how long it usually takes for a population to die off on its own. By no means does this imply that one will have gazillions of Convolutriloba for two years, then suddenly none. Again, the populations wax and wane according to resource availability. The best way to keep the numbers in check is to know your system; know how much food is enough to keep everything in your tank happy and healthy; and don't feed it any more than that. By carefully monitoring the addition of food, everything in your tank benefits and you won't experience large-scale population explosions of Convolutriloba. Eventually they'll just slowly wither away to nothing :).

Last edited:

Basile

I can just tell what happen and how i got rid of them, no special insite for that problem. I just siphon them when ever i did a water change, manually took them out with a air tube and out of the tank. They finally vanished. Not sure if the population crashed like i was told it would, but i'm free of them. No chemical used, but i'm sure if the problem had persist for months i would of had to use something, but i always try the natural way first. Anyway thats my experience with them.

rmlevasseur

4) They're ugly & icky.

So's my aunt. She's even got a moustache, but I'm not about to condone her eradication or banishment from the biosphere. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Yea, but you didn't put your aunt in your tank.

Shells

Hey guys.
I'm back after a long absence. i'll tel ya why in the off topic forum, but now, i"ve got an over population of red flat worms> :dunno: i added two Manderin fish and have noticed a slight decrease in their numbers, but i'm told it will take time. i'm thinking about adding one more> my system has been up for over 4 years, so i'm not worried about natural food for them, they are fat and happy. :bigbounce

rmlevasseur

I recently treated my 180 with Flatworm Exit, and I couldn't be happier with the results. I followed the instructions on the box and did a major major change a day later, followed up by another one about 5 days after that.

I also have two mandarins and a 6-line. I think they they may have slowed them down, but I never actually see them eat one.

I did not lose a single fish or coral from the treatment, but it did seem to result in the loss of a few turbos. Snails don't like it, but only only appeared lethal to a few of the turbos. Others survived fine, although they appeared "stunned" for a while.

I did not need to do a follow-up dose. Three weeks later and still not a trace of a single flat.

leahski

Update:
after a long absence i'm getting slowly back into the cozy RS family and i thought i'd give an update of my condition.

my sweet little 8 gal, which was once overrun by gross crawly red flatworms (i'm talking EVERYWHERE!!) is now basically flatworm free. it is a rare ocasion when i see more than one on the glass, and they no longer are visible on the substrate and/or rocks.
what did i do? nothing.
seriously. regular water changes.
i tried siphoing them off and trapping them in a pad of filter floss then putting the water back into the tank and while it made me feel better for a bit to see all those nasites squirming in about an inch of water, it didn't help the problem at all (at least not that i could tell).

so all of you battling the wreched planaria, take hope. they won't be there forever.