Flame scallop

Kongor

Anyone have one of these?

Just curious how you feed them, I was going to target feed zooplankon and selcon but I have no idea where it decided to hide.

My plan now is to just turn off sump return and let my powerheads throw around the food as I do with most of my corals but not sure if that will sustain the little critter.

Thanks!

puffermike

Judging from how much you seem to want to keep the guy alive I'd suggest target feeding it when you do find it. Shut the flow off and baste the turkey. :D

Kongor

Thanks Mikes, whats the difference between phytoplankton and zooplanton? Different species?

I think the scallop overheard I'd eat it if wasn't doing good and ran for the hills but I have found it. Kinda hard to see since its right where two glasses pieces meet so my eyes explode but I will try giving it some food today and see what happens. I have frozen rotifers also I can mix in there and cyclopeeze.

Putt

I have had one since last May, I don't target feed it at all. It's doing great, but slow growing.

Mike Johnson

First, I wouldn't eat it, it's not a scallop. It's a bivalve mollusk or clam. It's called a lima scabra or rough file clam. (The shell is like a file.)They're definitely not tasty.

Biology 101 class: zoo = animal, planktos = wanderer or drifter, phyton = plant. Some zooplankton can be very large - copepods, jellyfish, krill are all considered zooplankton. Phytoplankton is almost always so small it cannot be seen with the naked eye.

If your tank is "clean" you might want to feed it once or twice a week. If "dirty" you probably can get away without feeding it.

Clean = no visible algae growth. Dirty = visible algae growth, macro algaes.

Kongor

Makes sense, thanks Mike.

I wouldn't call my tank clean so I'll see how it behaves and if I can shoot him over some food I will and see what happens.

And I was kidding about eating it :) but the shrimps better watch out

Petr

I had one for couple of days until my two fire shrimps ate it. Basically it was not able to escape. I do not know, why these shrimps were so aggressive. Maybe lima went into their teritory.