Flame Scallop

greneis7

Won't be adding this for quite some time, but I was curious what kinds of experiences you all have had with Flame Scallops. I've read good and bad, and was looking for some personal experiences.
Thanks!!

Shagon

Me and pimpala had one for about a month at our tank at the office. Was happy for the most part, them one day he just went shell up.

PIMPALA

Mine did great for 2 months, then died.

DSC02292.jpg

37533_409362738993_510833993_4658755_6119300_n.jpg

not sure why. seemed to be eating good, licking the glass a lot, then just kicked the bucket one day. I know he was in the LFS for at least 2 months before I got him. They dont live that long to begin with, so its a possibility that he was near the end of his life cycle when I got him anyway.

greneis7

Thanks guys. They are so cool looking, but the more I read the more I am thinking this is another one to love in someone else's tank. =(

KandyKorals

Very cool animals, but we won't sell them...in my experience in 99% of the cases they slowly starve in captivity.

greneis7

I have your site bookmarked for when I am ready to add more corals!!! I saw that you are a new sponsor.
Thanks for your input.

KandyKorals

I have your site bookmarked for when I am ready to add more corals!!! I saw that you are a new sponsor.
Thanks for your input.

Cool! Don't forget RS members get a discount!

As a sponsor I try to only post where I think it's helpful, LOL! But, I hate to see animals sold that are almost certainly doomed in captivity, and will always speak up in that case. I have seen very few cases over the years where Flame Scallops have been successfully kept. There have been a few studies done, and from what I've read they have a very specific diet that is extremely difficult to replicate.

greneis7

I appreciate it. I thought I wanted a Lettuce Slug until I read a post on here by another member. Just wouldn't be fair. I'm new to saltwater hobby and don't need anything to die because I did something foolish.

r2d2

I had one for over 3 months and then it just died slowly. Not thinking in getting another one.

Greetings