Flame Hawkfish

theplantman

I am putting together a stocking list and was wondering if anyone has had success keeping these with coral banded and skunk cleaner shrimp? Let me know the good and bad experiences if you would.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

BLADEYAMAHA

IMO, coral banded shrimp is a bad idea, they love to eat your crabs and corals, hence why they are called the Coral Banded shrimp, caught mine ripping a $4 scarlet hermit crab right out of the shell and messing with my corals at night, needless to say, he made a trip to the freezer ASAP. :) Skunk cleaner shrimp is a great idea but some fish love to eat them. You might have a problem with the Flame Hawk Fish and the Cleaner Shrimp but not with a Long Nose Hawk Fish, I like the Longnose Hawk Fish better, they tend to love the owner better, IMO. :)

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Flame Hawkfish

Longnose Hawkfish

theplantman

Thanks for the advice, i did some searches last night since the response was light on this one. All the hawks are listed as shrimp eaters, i was going for the smaller species. It seems people have mixed results, the smaller the shrimp, the more likely to be gobbled up. To bad you had that experience with your coral banded. I had a mated pair for about a year with the last set up and never had an issue with them predating other tank inhabitants. I loved mine.