flame angel on way out

blythe

So this is a crappy way to start posting again.

Did some routine tank maintenance today. Cleaned the ornaments, changed the filter chemicals (actually had to change the whole filter because the old one died today). Everything went smoothly, followed the same protocols as usual.

A few hours later, my flame angel is lying on the bottom breathing heavily. It is pretty obvious that it will not make it through the night. All the other fish look and are acting fine.

In my 20 long reef, my bastard pseudochromis has managed to beat (or at least starve) my baby foxface to the brink of death also, I give him two days at most to survive.

What a great way to start the new year! I was gone for two weeks, no problems. Within a week, I am going to lose two fish and a filter.

ARRGGHHH!!!

Playa

So sorry to hear the bad news:-( It happens that I had the pelotas to introduce a Flame Angel to my reef this afternoon. It is so easy to get attached to them.

Brucey

Sorry for your loss ..... when you say you replaced the filter, did you change the filter media too ?? Just checking incase you had an amonia spike afterwards
Brucey

Maxx

BLythe,
try feeding your foxface some Nori. Put it in two different locations which will allow the fish to graze somewhere out of the pseudo's territory...
I'm sorry to hear that you are going thru troubles...
Nick

blythe

Ok, so both fish kicked it last night, which sucks.

As far as my cleaning protocol, I soak in bleach water until clean.
THis is followed by at least three rinses in tap water and a final soak in tap water with a crap load of dechlorinator.
This has never been a problemin three years.

The foxface was actually eating up until a few days ago. My best guess is that while I was gone (2 weeks), the reef didn't get fed more than once or twice and even when he started eating again he was already pretty much gone.

Oh well.

Pro_Builder, I am presently in Athens, GA

blythe

Brucey, I did replace teh filter, but used the sponge filters from teh previous filter to keep my biological filtration.

All of the other inhabitants are fine and ating as if nothing is wrong. I will test the water later to see if anything is going on there.

Thanks everyone.