Fixture or Canopy

Hornet

If you were doing a new build would you go with a fixture or put your lighting in a canopy?

Reason I'm asking is I'm about to build a stand and I keep going back and forth on if I want a canopy or just a fixture that sets on top of the tank.

BarbMazz

I would go with a fixture. I think there are limited options for lights that can be mounted in a canopy because of heat issues, without a lot of extra fans/wires.

Of course, then the aquarium top is more open, so if you have fish that are jumpers you have to be creative to close it up in an attractive way!

Hmm. lol

Tru2nr

i love having a canopy it finishes off the tank in my idea that and i don't have to worry about crap falling into my tank as much(i also have a cat that would have already fallin into the tank atleast once if it was open top but it all depends on the type of lightning you want to go with if ur going MH u need to build a canopy that will not over heat

fishnu

If you were doing a new build would you go with a fixture or put your lighting in a canopy?

Reason I'm asking is I'm about to build a stand and I keep going back and forth on if I want a canopy or just a fixture that sets on top of the tank.

Fixture. However two caveats.

1)My tank has a wood trimmed frame so maybe my sit. is different.
2) My fixture is suspended from the ceiling. I am trying to find compatible "sunlift" type product which will allow me to lift and lower the lights easily.

Hornet

Thanks for the replies :D

I've been thinking about biting the bullet and buying an Outer Orbit Pro 48" fixture that has 24 hour lighting. I guess I could save $ building a canopy but I just got frustrated trying to decide on all the different options and where in canopy I could mount the different lights needed.

I welcome more opinions on fixture or canopy, as of right now I'm leaning towards a fixture. I'm just soliciting opinions to make sure I'm not considering something

Tru2nr

put the fixture inside a canopy thats what my canopy is its two fixtures directly put into the canopy on the part that opens and then on fixture taken outa the fixture and retro'd into the canopy like this
fixture
DSCN1104.jpg

canopy
DSCN1106.jpg

and i do have another 18w fixture that i want to add but im tryn' to find out if i can wire it into my ballast for my 96w fixture heh

Hornet

put the fixture inside a canopy thats what my canopy is its two fixtures directly put into the canopy

I guess you did not want to Hang the fixtures or you already had a canopy?

I question because I'm thinking if I don't already have a canopy I don't think I'd have a need to build a canopy and put the fixtures inside of it.

BoomerD

Personally, I wouldn't want an aquarium without a canopy to hide the lights and misc. crap on top of the tank.
A well-done canopy turns an otherwise blah looking aquarium into a piece of furniture that helps blend it into the room, instead of being a bright spot that can be distracting. The glare that often ensues from a fixture to me, is distracting and is a definite drawback from an aquarium. A couple of computer-type bisquit fans is usually sufficient to remove any built-up heat from a canopy.
PLUS, retro-fit lighting set ups are usually MUCH cheaper than a fixture, and leave you with more options than a pre-built fixture.

BoomerD

With all those lightbulbs in the canopy, it's no wonder it gets hot!

(yes, I know it's only reflections...sheesh)

I'm in the process of building a canopy. My 250 watt pendants not only light my tank but my dining room as well. Also puts a glare on the TV.

Having a canopy will allow me to add a little actinic supplementation as well.

God bless,
Chris