Fixing Clam to Rock

Seagars

in an effort to reduce stress on the foot of the clam, do i fix the clam to a rock with glue or let the process take place on its own?
it is a maxima clam.

theplantman

Definitley let the process happen on its own. Clams will move if they do not like the area they are in. If you want to give it some encouragement to attach there, you can chip out an indentation in the rock or make a pvc bowl that you rest he clam in that can be pulled apart when the clam has attached. Get the appropriate sized pipe, gut it off to 2" tall max, then slice it in half and bind the halves together with a platic hose clamp or zip ties. Lay the clam in it and after the clam attaches to the rocks cut the zip strip and pull the halves away from the clam.

SantaMonica

PREMIUM
In the past I've put a blob of epoxy on the rock, and pressed the clam's shape into it, and then let the epoxy harden without the claim. When hardened, set the clam in it and it will be a perfect fit, and he can still move around, and the epoxy will look good in a few weeks :)

sense of nature

^ That sounds like a great idea!, My guy seems to shift around alot .I have him perched high & he's tumbled down to the lower level .I'll give the epoxy trick a shot
Thanks

Mike Johnson

Find a cup shaped rock, select the best spot for the clam, and set the clam there permanently. The best way to kill a clam is to keep moving it.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)