Fishing for Flame Angel and info

LuckyInk

Reef Painter
Hi guys and gals,
I have a Flame Angle nipping at my Maroon Clown. I have decided to take the Flame out and return him to my LFS. I think I will try to use a wide mouth mason jar and use mysis to lure him in.
Anybody have any tips or feedback?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I've also heard of using a 2 liter plastic bottle. Just cut off the 'mouth' end (making the opening large enought for the fish to enter) then invert it back into the bottle. Rubberbands can be used to hold it the inverted top on.

LuckyInk

Reef Painter
Thanks woodstock!
I have made a trap like the one you described in your second post. however, it was on a smaller scale (for catching crabs). I think I will give that a try!
Thanks for the info!

reefshadow

Hi, Lucky!

Try the trap method. I had to leave it in the reef for a few days, but all the angels were going in by then, it was very easy to catch them!!!!

Good Luck! -Becca:)

Dennis7

If the trap don't work, you can also try getting him when he is sleeping. If the spot he picks is easily accessible. This has worked for me also.

LuckyInk

Reef Painter
Whelp!
I used a mason jar baited with food and was able to lure him in, but never able to catch him in the jar. In the end (five days later), I had to break down the tank and get him out that way. My clown is happier and I was able to get a $20 credit from my LFS for him! Thanks for all of your help!

Curtswearing

Oh stop it Mike. LOL
Flames are now being bred successfully for the home aquaria trade. I'm sorry you had bad luck with yours. I have had no problems with mine.

Tank Raised Hawiian Flame Angels

I know that Maxx knows about these as he lived in Hawaii for a while. I had no idea there was even 2 types of flames until speaking with him.

LuckyInk

Reef Painter
Originally posted by mredman
I heard that flame angels are easily caught in the Pacific with cyanide!

LOL! I kept telling my wife to run out to the fish store to pick some up for me. She said "OK. What does the bottle look like?"
:D

mredman

Originally posted by LuckyInk
LOL! I kept telling my wife to run out to the fish store to pick some up for me. She said "OK. What does the bottle look like?"
:D

You are most fortunate in that your wife does NOT know what a bottle of cyanide looks like!!!

Mike

one eye

Originally posted by mredman
You are most fortunate in that your wife does NOT know what a bottle of cyanide looks like!!!

Mike

A little off topic, but I've been trying to figure out how to get my ex-wife to eat a bowl of zoanthids for about a year now :D