Fish with Lymphocystis now has swollen belly.

caitie

I have a molly in my 7 gallon nano, she has lymphocystis. I posted on this in another thread. The white spot she had is now gone but the area concerned has remained white instead of her usual color. She is still acting well, good appetite and very active, pecking away at the algae in the tank. The problem is that her belly is now very swollen with some of her scales sticking out a little bit. I've dealt with dropsy in fresh water fish and I don't believe she has dropsy, but I don't know what this could be? :confused:
Because of the lymphocystis I have stepped up my maintenance on this tank and I have been feeding her better quality foods. I would appreciate any ideas about what this could be.

leebca

Unfortunately, there is in fact a marine form of Dropsy. It's a bacterial infection. Is this a freshwater molly in a saltwater aquarium? Sometimes this doesn't work too well on the system of the fish.

The fish needs to be in a QT and treatment with an antibiotic that goes through the skin of the fish. I'd prefer the use of Nitrofurazone or a combination antibiotic that contains this, like in the product Furan-2.

caitie

Thanks for the reply. Yes this is a freshwater mollie she was slowly acclimated back in november. She was doing great until that white spot appeared on her tail and now this very swollen under belly. What confused me, is that it is only her under belly that is swollen and the scales that are slightly lifted are just under her belly too.
I've included 2 pictures, sorry they are not too great.
I will try and pick up Furan 2 tomorrow.
mollie 2 50%.jpgmollie 2 006 50%.jpg