fish problems

Michael Souther

i have a 35 gallon hex tank and i cant keep certain fish. idk why? i had an orange peel tang and a coral beauty they both die the same way for no apparent reason though. when i had my op tang he was doing great for a few days then just decided to chill in a cave . next thing i kno hes dead. and lateron down the road as of yesterday a bought a coral beauty same thing did great look healthy and beautiful just died no apparent reason i am still baffeled why this can be. all my coralls are fine my anenome is doing awesome growing like a weed and all my other fish are fine
lve stock- ocelaris clown, fire goby or dartfish- blue velvet damsel, and a scooter blenny
corals and anenome- screaming green birdsnest ORA, mayan sun birdsnest ORA, frogspawn not sure what type and a green bubble tip anenome

Michael Souther

i ad a little bit of water to the bag they are in every 15 min lke 2 oz at a time aas far as drip acclimating is there something i can build for that or soemthing i have to buy cuz i had a skarlet skunk shrimp as well and he died the same day but in the morning i do all my other fish the same way and they are all fine

Brandon78

Only thing i can think of is 35 gals isnt big enough for a tang, and you may of put fish in that require more space. Just my idea, I could be way off. Welcome to RS!

Michael Souther

ok i can try that next time and as far as tank to small i thought that but they are pygme and i figured it would be ok i said 40 g mine is a 35 i didnt think that was a huge diference is it really that big of a deal ive seen blue hippo tangs in a 40 gallon display tank in the fish store and it was doing great even though they require much more room and thank you im glad i can find some help i will enjoy being on RS

Brandon78

Well if they were small im sure thats not a problem, but when they start growing it could be. I think 40 g is way to small for a hippo. Theres a thread on here somewhere, labeled something like big fish in a small box, might check that out for some opinions. Youll find a lot of help here!!

As for the Hippos in a DT in a fish store, they are there for sale and are not there long enough to be a problem for the fish. And I've never heard of a Orange Peel Tang. ?? Orange Peel Angel, yes. But not a tang. Lemon Peel Tang, yea. Got a link on that Orange Peel Tang?

Michael Souther

i cant find it on the internet yea i kno lemon peel tang but the guy at the store told me he was an orange peel and i looked all over but it was only lemon peel tang but they were all bright yellow with blue around there eyes and fins mine was the same but a real vibrant orange he said something like 1 in a hundred thousand are like that

Michael Souther

still idk thtank my fish were in at the store i just got them from were significantly smaller there wasnt any live rock in them and my tank is establishe plenty of swimming room and hiding places so im still not certain

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
We may be overlooking the obvious here... What's your chemistry numbers?

...."Fish" Happens!....

tnwillia

Drip acclimate everything and you will have better luck. With inverts drip is the only way to go because they are so sensitive to changes, don't cheat the drip time. Good luck!

Doogle

You say the perameters are fine but if you would test ALL your parameters and post them on here it would help, I have a 35g hex and I wouldn't want to put any more fish in there than you already have. I have 3 goldfish with arena xp3 canister filter on my 35 and thats too much fish.

StirCrayzy

i cant find it on the internet yea i kno lemon peel tang but the guy at the store told me he was an orange peel and i looked all over but it was only lemon peel tang but they were all bright yellow with blue around there eyes and fins mine was the same but a real vibrant orange he said something like 1 in a hundred thousand are like that

Im bettin on a lemon peel ANGEL. not tang. I love this fish!

You can buy an acclimation kit for cheap @ FS.
Aquarium Acclimation: Employ the Drip Method to Reduce Aquarium Acclimation Stress
lemonpeel010.jpg

Last edited:

Alf

If you know a nurse or someone in the medical field get them to get you an IV drip rig, what I use for drip acclimation. HTH

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
How longs this tank been up and running

........wet floors add character.