fish loss support group

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
We have all had our share of fish deaths in this hobby but sometimes there is that one fish that for whatever reason the loss is much harder to except. Maybe the fish had a great personality, was exceptionally beautiful or had been a long lived member of the family. Regardless of why we cared so deeply for the fish the loss is a heavy one that can't easily be forgotten and leaves us doubting why we remain in this hobby.

For me it was July 17th 2012 when I found my Hippo Tang dead. I bought it December 29th 2010 and she was about 1.5 to 2" in length at the time of death she was about 4". I didn't realize how much I enjoyed that fish until she was gone and once she died I lost a lot of interest in my tank. She kept the tank interesting with her swimming in and out of the the rock, hovering in place in front of the powerhead or playing games with the clown and blue damsel. Hopefully with the coming of winter I can get back in the game besides there are plenty of corals I "need" to buy.

steved13

PREMIUM
:( Funny how animals touch some of us so deeply. I can't say a tank dweller has touched me that way, but I can understand it. I would love to have a dog again but I can't stand the thought of outliving it. I have friends with dogs that I know I'm going to cry like a baby when the dog passes and they'll be over it in no time. I tell my friends to lie and tell me the dog ran away or something.

I have had a small parrot for about 20 years now, and I'm hoping she outlives me.

dmatt88

:( Funny how animals touch some of us so deeply. I can't say a tank dweller has touched me that way, but I can understand it. I would love to have a dog again but I can't stand the thought of outliving it. I have friends with dogs that I know I'm going to cry like a baby when the dog passes and they'll be over it in no time. I tell my friends to lie and tell me the dog ran away or something.

I have had a small parrot for about 20 years now, and I'm hoping she outlives me.

I understand leigh is that way with sheep. :D

..........rarely am I speechless

engineer goby

I spent 2 days at the bar after I had to put my dog down but the 12 years of fun she gave me was worth it.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Nothing worse than driving your best friend to the vet, tail waggin, head out the window and bringing him home in a box. Worst day of my life.

steved13

PREMIUM
Rob, I'm here for you buddy, Please take this in the spirit that it's offered...this thread sucks.

steved13

PREMIUM
I hope I didn't offend anyone, I just meant it tugs at my heart when I read these posts, I'm an old softy when it comes to animals. It's one of the parts of life that sucks the most.

lbiminiblue

Well my jawfish was certainly a hard blow...but possibly the worst was losing a mandarin goby some years back to a sargasso crab....that was before i even knew what reef tanks were, and the mandarin probly wouldve starved anyway...but man what a beautiful fish. Not to mention now that i realize how easily dragonets die, i feel awful about that...

engineer goby

Steve I am very offended, jk. I'm probably the least offend-able person alive

.......I can't hold it much longer

dmatt88

Steve I am very offended, jk. I'm probably the least offend-able person alive

.......I can't hold it much longer

Oh. I'm up there too I wanted to get more colorful but all the &$##+ popped up

..........rarely am I speechless