Fish Immune Boosters

leebca

When a fish is recovering from a disease, malnutrition, poor water quality, injury or any ailment, it is a good idea to give the fish a boost to its immune system. This group of additives are properly known as immune-stimulants. The reader should understand what is known and unknown about these chemicals. This leads to a proper definition of what is an immune-stimulant:

Immune-stimulant: a chemical substance that activates white blood cells (leukocytes).

Seems reasonable, BUT that 'activation' was witnessed only during in vitro studies. That is, the 'activation' was observed in a test tube and not inside a living creature. Thus a true immune-stimulant can be found in the lab, but that chemical substance could be a poison to the animal. Is this clear?

It takes a lot of study and careful testing to verify that an immune-stimulant works inside of a living organism/animal.

Most aquarists don't realize that the fish coating (some call it a mucous, others a slime) contains bactericide and antibodies to pathogens as well as resisters to opportunistic organisms (e.g., molds). They may not also know that a fish under stress will lose a part or all of this coating. Another interesting fact is that while under stress, the fish internally releases hormones (e.g., corticosteroids and catecholamines) which actually suppress the immune system. This makes the fish quite defenseless at times of stress, thus leading to a variety of conditions secondary to the primary stressor.

In future posts, I'll refer to this post for things an aquarist can do to boost the sick/injured marine fish's immune system. It should be noted that these boosters should not become a routine additive to foods. They are something intended for use only when conditions indicate they are needed. Most information seems to point to the fish getting used to these boosters to the point the booster may have no or little affect. So, use these guidelines only on special occasions when needed.

BETA GLUCAN

I use this for all recovering fish. I use it only for about 2 weeks maximum. It is easy to administer. It is added to the fish food. You estimate the weight of the fish; you estimate the amount of food it eats; then you make sure the fish eats the proper dose. What you add is 25mg/kg of fish. This isn't very much! Beta glucan is found in human health food stores.

VITAMIN C

Vitamin C has been shown to provide the fish with an improved immune response. It is a vitamin that should be provided in a general vitamin and fat supplement regime (See: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...eeding-marine-fish-marine-fish-nutrition.html. NOTE: There are at least 22 different kinds of Vitamin C. Not all are the same nor are all the right kind to use. You want one for marine fishes that is labeled 'stabilized.' Adding extra quantities of stabilized Vitamin C to the food, during a fish's recovery, will aid in a speedy recovery. Look on the shelves of LFSs and find the Vitamin C that says it is stabilized.

LIPOPOLYSACCHARIDE and LEVAMISOLE

Although not readily available to the public under these names, the lipids come in fat additives. Thus, during recovery fat and vitamin supplements need to be increased. That is why in the above referenced post, my recommendation of how often to provide fat and vitamin supplements vary with the condition of the fish (recovering fish = more fat and vitamin supplements). Levamisole is a drug used for the cure of fishes with worms. Although it is also an immune booster, levamisole is not essential to find or administer during the time a fish is recovering. I would not recommend its use as an immune booster.

OTHERS

Mannan oligosaccharides have been investigated recently and show promise at boosting the immune system of the fish and providing some anti-microbial defense. This work is not as advanced as that for Beta Glucan and actual doses haven't been proposed for marine ornamentals. Most of this work is done on (human foods) marine shrimp and freshwater fish. This is typically derived from yeast and other plant products, including algae.

Peptidoglycans (also known as mureins) has been minimally investigated. It is found in a layer on most Gram Positive Bacteria (on Gram Negative Bacteria too, but much less). In fact, it is penicillin that interferes with this complexed sugar and peptide molecule that helps destroy the infection in humans. The peptidoglycan coats single cell bacteria and is a barrier to pathogen attack.

The toxicity of the two above chemicals is not well known when it comes to ornamental marine fishes, so although they have demonstrated immune stimulation (see above definition), they likely react differently when administered and may be a source of irritation to outright poison.

Most vitamins and enzymes facilitate the recovery, repair and replacement of damaged, injured, and/or disease cells. To not mention their need would be a big mistake. If it isn't clear from the writing above, then all sick fish, fish recovering, and fish needing help need fat and vitamin supplements more frequently than healthy fish do. This is one of the two essential requirements for a good recovery. The second essential is proper and sufficient nutrition. A fish can only recover when the proper kinds and amounts of nutrients are being provided. Those general guidelines are found in the above mentioned reference.

Post if you have questions or wish to comment. :)

Last edited:

leebca

If you go through the post on fish nutrition, you'll find a list of vitamin and fat supplements. This is the jist of it:

GVH by H2O Life (one kind for foods, one kind for algae)
Selco
Selcon (fats)
Vita-Chem
Zoe
Zoecon (fats)

Undoubtedly, there are others. Look for any vitamin made for marine fishes AND that contains vitamins made from sea life (not land life/sources).

Only buy small, fresh containers of these so you will use them up in less than 2 months. Alternate their use. Use one product for a couple of months, then switch to another.

You'll see from the above PSU4ME that Selcon is a fat supplement. Like almost all fat supplements, they do contain some vitamins, but a fat supplement is not the entire vitamin range the fish should be getting. So you want to use a fat supplement AND a vitamin supplement.

oakleyx

Hi Lee,

I'm trying to order some Beta Glucan but I see some with different mg.

Will this one work:

Beta Glucan 1,3 7.5mg 30 Caps Source Naturals $11.99

Beta Glucan is a unique polysaccharide derived from baker's yeast. Animal and human cell culture studies have shown that beta glucan can stimulate several aspects of immune function, such as phagocytosis and interleukin production. Phagocytosis is the process of a white blood cell engulfing and destroying a foreign substance. Interleukin is a chemical mediator that triggers white blood cell production and activity. Beta Glucan 1,3/1,6 is a highly potent form of beta glucan. It is purified using a process that removes the mannoprotein and yeast residues in the yeast cell well. These compounds may interfere with beta glucan's activity.

Serving Size: 1 Capsule

Amount Per Serving %DV Beta-1,3-Glucan 7.5 mg +

Other Ingredients: gelatin (capsule), maltodextrin and titanium dioxide.

Suggested Use One capsule daily, either 30 minutes before a meal, or at least two hours after a meal.

Warning If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, consult your health care professional before using this product.

source naturals - beta glucan 13/16 100mg, 30 caps

Thanks
-Dan

leebca

That is the correct form of Beta Glucan. I'm not enthused about the other ingredients. I don't know how they will affect a fish.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Lee,
Do you find vitality by seachem to be a good vitamin supplement?

also, how often would you feed the "fats" and vitamin" soaked food?

leebca

Hate bringing up an old proverb but. . .it applies here.

Give a starving person a fish and they eat for the day; teach them to fish and they can eat everyday.

I try to teach hobbyists how to answer the questions you've asked as far as what types of vitamins are good. If it comes from ocean products, it's good. I try to avoid product approval or disapproval.

Your other question about frequency is all covered in this post:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...eeding-marine-fish-marine-fish-nutrition.html

oakleyx

That is the correct form of Beta Glucan. I'm not enthused about the other ingredients. I don't know how they will affect a fish.

Hi Lee,

Thanks for the quick response! I'm going to try to find it without the other ingredients.

Thanks Again,
-Dan