Fish ID

JeffJ

Any idea what this fish might be? He came with a tank I purchased and the owner couldn't remember what he was or where he came from. He is maybe 2 inches long and wouldn't sit still enough for a decent picture.

FateX8

i agree with mike
looks like a clown goby, but i thought clown gobies were more docile.
specifically dont know which kind but i've personally never seen a blue clown goby
looks cool

geofloors

It's a black citron goby; I have a breeding pair. They started out as a blue grey when they were much younger.

George

geofloors

They are great reef fish although I wouldn't put them into an acropora tank. They are like typical clown gobies. They perch on one acro and then move to another. The acroporas won't alway have good polyp extention because of this. Also mine live in a very large acropora colony and they clean off the underside of a branch to lay their eggs. Every time they lay eggs they will clear a new spot. I've been trying to remove them from their current tank for year with no luck. I want to put them into my softy/LPS tank.

George

JeffJ

Ah, thanks for the info guys. I have been searching the net for info and haven't found a picture that looks just like him. I guess it's because of the color change. It's not the acropora he sits on in my tank, but the caulastrea (sp?).

geofloors

Here they are tonightperching on a montipora. The female is in the shadow of the acropora.

DSCN9304.JPG

George