Fish ID

scbill

Newbie Fish ID...
This should be pretty easy but I will post picks If I need to...
Picked up about 5 damsels when I started my tank 6 months ago. I thought I had all their names straight but there was one that slipped my mind. He is about the size of a blue damsel (1inch) all black with a yellow tail. I have googled black damsel, yellow tail damsel with no luck. Maybe it is not a damsel at all and the LFS just told me it was. Anyway, like I said I will post pics if needed....Bill

scbill

DSC01158.jpg

sorry for the blur...he alsmost never stands still.

scbill

I was hoping a could google chromis and find one similar but no luck.
Maybe I will take the picture to the store.

scbill

No..could you see my pics Brenda?
This was the first time I posted pics to this board, and was wondering if
they were able to be seen.
Bill

sambrinar

yea I can, but purdy blurry.. I was just going through LA to see if I could find a black and yellow fish that might have similar markings for ya.. the dorsal fin don't look right on the link I posted.. cant find a damsel or chromis that looks similar.. so IDK

scbill I was looking around last night on that damsel and with google I didn't have any luck, but with bing I had 1 result out of thousands and check it out. but there was no pics, but location. and from what I can see in those pics it looks close to what i read. That they are similiar to the yellowtail blue damsel, except they are black instead of blue, and they are located in the phillipines, from what i read they are called yellowtail black damsel.
But I also read somewhere that yellowtail blue they can change to black as sign of aggression, or because his enviroment had change and in due time return back to blue.

I wish i could provide links to what i read last night, but I was doing my search around 2am EST and was really tired, and using different word combo in the search on google and bling.

If you don't know what bling is, it's a new search engine by your truly M$. and it's good, but I still do all my searches on google and use bling as a backup engine.

scbill

Thanks to all..lol I thought I had a common damsel that lots of people start out with. Turns out I might have something that is actually hard to find. Will update the thread If I ever find definitive proof of what this guy is. Thanks again to all. Bill

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
I be willing to bet it is not a Yellowtailed Damsel as the caudal peduncle ( the base of the tail not the fins on the tail) has no yellow. It looks more like a Neopomacentrus cyanomus, Regal damsel. So, credit think goes to jgsensor.

damsel%20id%20wwm2.jpg

110970975.Yr1pkayq.fishdamsel_219.29.JPG

398.jpg

Last edited: