Fish ID please?

Cougra

I've come another across a fish that I am having a hard time identifying. I believe it's a juvenile filefish of some sort however I not certain about that.

Here are some photos of the fish:

Note that it has some white scales that protrude from it's body that remind me of a tassled filefish (Chaetodermis pencilligerus) however they aren't quite as pronounced. You can sort of see them in this first photo if you look towards the bottom of the fish.

AG4129.jpg

AG4134.jpg

lcstorc

What a cute little fish. I wish I was better at IDs but I enjoy all of your neat fish pics. I learn something too. :)

Cougra

Thanks Lynn! I like trying to id fish that I haven't seen before however I spent about three or four hours straight looking for this one and can't seem to even figure out what genus it's from, although I have a few possibilities. The bigget problem for me is that I'm not familiar with all the different families and genus of fish so I find it hard to narrow some searches down.

DeepBlue

I tried to find one that looked close to what you posted, but nothing really matched up so far. But, here are a couple other sites to look at and see if you find something.

This is a good site for general species and has good images.
Surgeons, Triggerfish

Another interesting site for getting an ID is:
Identify a fish

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Sine Dave ID it for more pics just take the name he gave ;)

Google > Pseudobalistes flavimarginatus> Images

Pseudobalistes - Google Image Search

vdituri

Pseudo = false > balistes = to throw, or like a catapult action > flavi = tending to yellow > margin = margins/borders > atus = provided within

Cougra

If you want to know more about the name of this fish here it is broken up a bit:
Pseudobalistes flavimarginatus
Pseudo = false
Balistes = I'm not sure the direct translation of this one but it refers to the family all triggerfish are found in.
Flavus/flavidus = Yellow/Yellowish
marginatus = lined or margin

So this would refer to a "False Triggerfish Yellow-margined"

I've been interested in learning more about the latin/greek words that are commonly used for naming fish and have begun compiling a list of them located here if you want some more information or have any more words to add to the list!

Scientific Names

Cougra

LOL Boomer! You posted while I was looking up the translation! I'm sure yours are a lot more precise then the ones that I have though.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Michelle mine come form a book I got a few months ago

A Source-Book of Biological Names and Terms, by E.C. Jaeger.

Balistes = I'm not sure the direct translation of this one but it refers to the family all triggerfish are found in.

Yes, I raced into that one and have should been more precise. It means to throw, as in a catapult. Their example is the trigger fish family :D They were probably giving the name to its catapult like behavior. I made the mistake at loking at another name above it also and then blneding the two. bali means spotted, and that "spot" should not be there so I removed it. ;)

Cougra

Thanks for the clarification. I'm guessing that it would refer to the action given with the modified dorsal spine when it suddenly engages!