Fish for my 150-gal FOWLR--what do you think?

OceanGirl

Hey guys,

I've got my 150-gal tank cycling now with some live rock, and was going to make it a reef tank, but after some serious thought I'm going to make it a FOWLR instead. Here's the fish I'm hoping would work for this tank--the tank dimensions are 48" long by 24" wide by 30" high: Threadfin butterflyfish, Foxface, Bluejaw trigger, Harlequin tuskfish, and Antennata Lionfish. What do you think? Any suggestions/additions would be much appreciated--you guys are awesome on this forum!! Also, I forgot to add that right now my pH is 1.026--is that too high for a FOWLR, and should I lower it?

Last edited:

michael_cb_125

Hello!!

I would not keep any triggers with the lions, as they are prone to nipping the spines of the lionfish.

Good luck with the new tank :)

~Michael

carlagracie

Hey could you post a picture of your tank Oceangirl? Im going to be getting a 150 the same size 48*24*30 and want to see how big it is? Thank you!

BigFish11

I had a FOWLR tank in college and i have to say a porcupine puffer was the ham of my tank. They can bully a little and are pigs when they comes to eating, but they just put around the tank which is great to watch. Also i had an eel and that was pretty cool to watch too.

BigFish11

I had a FOWLR tank in college and i have to say a porcupine puffer was the ham of my tank. They can bully a little and are pigs when they comes to eating, but they just put around the tank which is great to watch. Also i had an eel and that was pretty cool to watch too.

OceanGirl

Ok, here's my tank--it's up and cycling right now. Never mind the gate on the left hand side--that's to keep my overly curious large greyhound out of trouble!

:laughroll If your pH is 1.026 you got some major problems lol! I'm pretty sure you mean specific gravity. In that case, I don't see why it would be a problem for a FOWLR. I love your current list, but as mentioned before I would remove the lion and add the Porcupine Puffer. I would also put in a Green Bird Wrasse. I love them and I really don't understand why not too many people keep them. Can't wait to see what you end up with.

OceanGirl

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I realized after I first posted that I meant SG and NOT PH! :banghead: I do feel relieved--I thought the SG was too high for a FOWLR--whew!! I'll look into a bird wrasse--I think that one would look very cool in my tank!

xspeedrj

That would be at the top end for me on a FOWL. 1.025 would be preferred in my mind with inverts and no corals. My experience with fish and disease is keep the temp up and salinity lower. I keep my FOWL tanks at 1.023 ish to 1.24.

All that aside, ever think about adding an Angel?

I still remember the days when 1.021 was the ideal.

OceanGirl

Thanks so much for the advice! Well, now I have my VERY first saltwater fish, a foxface, who's about 4 inches long, and he's in my 20-gallon quarantine tank. I do have the SG in there at 1.023, temp is 77, and the pH is 8.2. I am thinking of lowering it to that in the main tank. I'm keeping an eye on my foxface, and so far he's doing good--he's eating like a little pig!

ramjet33

uh, I see this is an old thread, but what the hell, im late to the party as usual. I personally have a niger trigger in my 110. hes pretty low key. your blue jaws will be the same. the triggers are more of an planktonic eater, scavenger variety than say a humu humu or clown. those guys will tear into everything. I was going to go solo with a undy but lost the nerve. something about wearing chain mail when i clean the tank!