Fish Focus - Skunk Clownfish

Cougra

This weeks Fish Focus is on the Skunk Clownfish - Amphiprion perideraion. They are members of the family Pomacentridae. These clownfish are often seen in the store and it's possible to get them captive bred. They are one of the more docile of the clownfish and are considered very peaceful.

pinkskunkclownfish1.jpg

Origin/Habitat
Indo-pacific mostly around the Coral Sea and Fiji

Size
4"

Recommended Minimum Tank Size
24" x 12" x 18"

38_Skunk_Clownfish.jpg

Sexing/Breeding
All start out as non functioning males. The most dominant one of the group will become the breeding female and the second most dominant one will be the breeding male. The females are much larger then the males. Once paired off they can easily be bred. The male will clean a flat surface for the female to lay her eggs on. Once the eggs are fertilized, the male will tend the eggs by fanning them with his tail. The fry requires rotifers as a first food and will require live baby brineshrimp about 5 to 10 days after hatching.

Notes
These are hardy and shy clownfish. It's best to get captive raised specimens as they are more adaptable. In the wild they are commonly found hosting in the following types of anemones: Heteractis crispa, Heteractis magnifica, Macrodactyla doreensis, and Stichodactyla gigantea. They do not need an anemone to live in an aquarium and tank raised specimens are less likely to bond with one.

DSCF6114.jpg

Have you had any experience with the Skunk Clownfish?
Do you have any photo's of your Skunk Clownfish that you would like to share?
Would you like to have one or do you find them boring?

Please share your experiences with them!

billyr98

Never had them, but after listening to Larry Jackson at Macna, I would really like to try and breed them one day!

meandean45

Amphiprion Perideriaon!
Wow, I thought I was about the only one to keep "Pink Skunk" Clowns.
I've had a mated pair of PS Clowns for about 7 years now. They have hosted in a BTA ever since I acquired it about 5 years back, and didn't seem concerned that it wasn't on the list of their "natural" Host Anemones, But they had refused to host in corals and carpet Anemones before I got the BTA.

They do seem to be docile as clownfish go, but are still very intolerant of any other Clownfish in "their" tank. I would not call them peaceful. On that same note, they are certainly not as agressive as A. Clarkii, but do seem much more agressive than A. Ocellaris.

Mine seem to lay a large mass of bright orange eggs about every 16 to 18 days, which turn purple, then black, and then to silver before they hatch after 9 to 11 days. The Male Clown seems to do most of the work to care for the eggs, while the Female makes very sure that the other fish keep a respectful distance away from them.

The flashlight and plastic cup method I've seen in other threads does seem to work very well for catching the fry, which do indeed hatch almost exactly 1 hour after lights out on the tenth day. I haven't been sucessful trying to raise the fry though.

A. Perideriaon certainly aren't as colorful as A. Percula or A. Ocellaris, but IMO they are excellent Clowns for the Reef Tank *!

Regards,
Dean

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I saw some beautiful pink skunk clowns at the LFS from Madagascar and they had some very different colors then the skunks I'd seen before, if it wasn't for all the difficulty involved in removing my pair of T. Perculas I would've bought them.

ghostwolf

We have had (3) skunk clowonfish - 2 were in our original tank in PA and we now have 1 in this reef tank. This little fish is probably one of the hardiest fish we have had. We purchased it from a vendor on-line in June and he was less than 1/2" long. The 1st week of July he went missing. We searched the tank hi & low, checked the overflow box every day for 2 weeks and finally gave him up for dead or MIA. Well, Thursday nite the new Diamond Goby decided to find the top of the tank at full speed. He found it - and into the overflow he went with a major headache. It took us almost 2 hours to get him out. As my husband was shining the light in the overflow, he sees a shimmering pass throught light. Needless to say, the pink skunk's name is now Lucky Baby. He is now back in the main tank, eating well and generally have a good time.

LuckyBaby.jpg

Lin

FateX8

Here's my two pink skunks
my favorite clowns of all time next to the bonnets
hey Dean how old were your PS before they started spawning?
mine are ~2 years old and theyve been together for well over a year

Attachments

• DSC05791_edited.jpg
    DSC05791_edited.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 66

music man

509861ded97823dd43379a68d0e7115fc3cf.jpeg

mine jumped out of the litle 5" hole in the top of my tank and died I guess it got lonely being with just 2 GR chromis I found it dried up on the back of the tank.:cry1: :cry1:

klc317

I had a pair of these in our 24G Nano Cube with a BTA and they are definately my favorite type of clown. Very calm natured and attractively colored. We have a paired Clarkii couple in our 180 and they are, well... less than sociable and tend to attack my hand whenever I am in there cleaning. Ideally, I would rather have some pink skunks in there, but I have had the Clarkiis forever and they are now laying eggs and doing well. I hate to mess with anything that is settled in.

I also have two pink skunks in my 55 gal that I bought after my two ocellaris. But so far I have not had any problems with them and all four get along and often spend time together. Sorry, no pics yet but soon hopefully. My daughter says I can use her camera after she gets it for Christmas.:)

razz

just got 2 pink skunk clowns ,the ones with one stripe across top since there colour is a little nicer..same docile personality though.i got a big and small one and they have paired in 3 weeks so im stoked ..great fish they live in my torch coral and a single sadle back lives in my carpet:spinner: