First time JBJ Nanocube HQI 28g

SeattleReefGuy

What do you guys think about getting water from the seattle aquarium for my tank? Its .05 cents a gal?

NanoGeek - I live in Seattle too and am getting ready to get back into the hobby. I haven't had a salt water setup in years. I used to get my salt water from the Seattle Aquarium back then and it worked great. Just pull up use your "swipe" card and you're good to go. They bill you montly so you don't even need money at the pump. I live in Ballard so it's close. Also I think at $0.05/gallon it's WAY cheaper than buying salt and making RO/DI water. They use the same water for all of their tanks their.

Here is a link to the Seattle Aquarium Salt Water Sales info if you didn't already have it...

I was thinking about joining a local aquarium club...what about you?

Gfoot2000

Ohh... I've seen a whole line up at my lfs and I've seen eshopps onlines, but I dunno if any of the float lever type will fit in a nanocube, maybe you'll have to go for the float switch type, my ato made me really lazy with water change though lol

Corailline

I know each tanks cycling times vary but how long did it take for your tank to cycle?

It takes roughly 4 to 6 weeks IME. Once you get an ammonia and nitrite of 0 do a 20% water change, let it sit for a couple more days, retest and if everything looks good, add a small cuc.

Let the tank adjust to a new introduction for a week or two before adding another inhabitant ( fish ). The biological filter takes some time to catch up initially, that is why it is so important to go slowly.

:fishy2:

Thanks for your responses, I actually live about thirty miles north of Seattle but I don't know of any local aquarium clubs. The tank should be here tomorrow! :woohoo: :woohoo:

SeattleReefGuy

you shouldn't need a chiller here in Seattle, unless you have a lot of heat from the lights. I never have, but I also didn't have any MH.

Got the tank yesterday and all looks well. Marine Depot did forget the protein skimmer :bs: . The light is awsome and the fans are quiet. The LEDs are pretty sweet too. Quality looks good and packaging was great! I probably won't hear back from them till the new year on the skimmer.

Corailline

My JBJ HQI runs 79-81 during the winter. During the summer it can get as high as 84 degrees, I live in AZ. I run a West Coast 1/15 chiller set at 83 degrees to avoid the high temp swing.

The system is dominated by acropora a few LPS and some soft corals. I get good growth and coloration.

I will say that the JBJ HQI runs hotter than any system I have run and a chiller is really a good idea with this system.

Well I kinda doubt ill need a chiller but if a fan wont work i may have to get one... we'll see. Thats why I asked about the microchiller because if I do need one I'd mlike to get it on the cheap cause I'll probably not need except maybe 3 weeks out of the year. lol.

Ok so it turns out the skimmer is no longer sold with the tank and I'm not gonna buy the JBJ pos.

Any suggestions for protien skimmers for the tank?

corrado007

+2 on the Tunze 9002 but from what I understand it will only fit in the center chamber so you'd have to be willing to give that up. Sounds like a cool tank, I'll be looking forward to watching your tank progress.

Well the tunze 9002 + the stevie T cup is about 200 bucks, for that price couldn't I get a HOB that would perform better for the same price and not take up my middle chamber? Does anyone use HOB skimmers With these?

Aquamaxx HOB-1 or Aqua-C Remora or CPR bak pak or tunze 9002 w/Stevie T Cup? Out of these 4 which is the most effective for a 28g Nanocube and why? I am leaning towards the first 2 HOB's just because I would not have to mod the tank and it would not take up a chamber in the rear sump area plus it would add water volume? What do you think?