First Rotating Output Powerhead....worth it?

if you are interested in changing the flow in your tank go to www.oceansmotions.com and check out their revolutions units and 2,4 and 8 way diverters....they are awesome use one on my tank, saw an immediate change in health of all things in tank, massive waterflow capabilities.

prow

you dont need to run 3 powerheads you just can.

those oceansmotions look cool. but wow $$$$$

But I've seen a lot of tanks out there have two powerheads and they are blowing the water to different directions.

My fish tank is too small to have two powerheads I think.

billyr98

the powersweep was an awesome idea.. But the do stop overtime... I run a sea-swirl for my return pump this is another way to get some motion...

Sea Swirl

yeah kind of pricy but worth it in my book, i am kind of picky about piping in the tank and having cords run everywhere, think the look of the revolutions that they offer are very clean. here are my pics.

Attachments

• above tank piping.jpg
    above tank piping.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 52
  • revolutions.jpg
    revolutions.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 51

reefjitsu

I have a powersweep that I bought some years ago when they first came out. It is completely coraline encrusted, but it still "sweeps" back and forth. It sticks every once in awhile, but I have found that a gentle nudge usually sets it to moving again. My biggest complaint about it is that it just doesn't seem to have much power for the size, that is why I never bought anymore.

Kensn

I agree that a couple of Sea Swirls http://www.sea-swirl.com/ would also make nice random current. 1 in each corner of the tank, each plumbed to a powerful enough powerhead would give a nice random sweeping effect. The 1/2" models should be plenty for your application, and I have found them to be very dependable.

Check this out:http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=11363&Ntt=hydor%20flo&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1

I also considered the powersweep but most of the reviews I found on the product were negative. I run two of Hydor Flos on Maxi J:rolleyes: et 1200s in a 36g. I've been using them for about two years and am thoroughly pleased. They do limit powerhead output to some degree and also require cleaning every couple of months. But, they are cost effective and do a great job of alternating flow in my tank. I highly reccomend them.

MarbleShark

I was given the advice recently of simply putting a couple of Hydor Flos on my return heads and running a "Squib" from my return pumps which would simulate some waves and not add electricity to my tank or any heat from the powerheads being in the tank.

Opinions?

I think your tank is much bigger than mine Marble so I'm not sure how it would work for you. But the Hydor Flo really works well for me and my tank. By the way I still owe you a hang on fuge. Do you still need it? If so, PM and let me know.

Check this out:http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=11363&Ntt=hydor%20flo&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1

I also considered the powersweep but most of the reviews I found on the product were negative. I run two of Hydor Flos on Maxi J:rolleyes: et 1200s in a 36g. I've been using them for about two years and am thoroughly pleased. They do limit powerhead output to some degree and also require cleaning every couple of months. But, they are cost effective and do a great job of alternating flow in my tank. I highly reccomend them.

Man I should of post this thread a little earlier. My order with Drs Smith & Foster is already on its way to my home. :eek:

Man I should of post this thread a little earlier. My order with Drs Smith & Foster is already on its way to my home

Your order will come with a return sticker. They are really good with returns. So it's not too late.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
yeah kind of pricy but worth it in my book, i am kind of picky about piping in the tank and having cords run everywhere, think the look of the revolutions that they offer are very clean. here are my pics.

180gallonreef, that is quite a set-up. What kind of pump is running that plumbing extravaganza.-Scott