First Dosing Setup

FrootStick

Hey all

I'm looking into and thinking of setting up my new tank and dosing, as I work away and think it will be a hell of a lot easier for me to maintain the correct levels.

So what dosing pumps are people using? I'm new to dosing with chemicals so really don't know what ones are the best to get. I will chase a really good quality one.
I was looking into the Apex DOS but it only has 2 pumps.

Also what chemicals are you guys running? There are so many on the market and I'm sure some a far better than others.

For starters I will be looking at dosing the basics of calcium, alkalinity and magnesium.

Thanks guys

DaveK

I've looked at dosing systems quite a few times, and tried a very simple one years ago.

Here are a few items to consider.

Make sure you really really need dosing. It can be expensive to set up and there is no point in doing it unless you really have something to gain. In other words, plan the system so you can add dosing later, and run it manually for a few months to figure out what you need. For example, magnesium will be depleted by coral growth, but it's at a very slow rated compared to calcium. Water changes alone might solve this problem.

Make sure whatever product you get has replacement parts available. Those small tubes used in peristaltic pumps do need fairly frequent replacement. If you can't get the parts, you now own a new paperweight. In my opinion, if you can't get replacement parts, it's automatic disqualification.

Make sure the dosing system either has a controller built in to it, or can easily connect to the controller your using. No point in getting something that can't connect.

Make sure any software that you might need to run a web enabled system will run on your machine. Some make software only for Windows. If you have an Apple system or run Linux, you might be out of luck.

Go with top quality. I have always recommended this, but it's critical with dosing pumps. Some of the cheep ones do not meter the additive that well. Also many dosing pumps, even some of the expensive ones, are of only fair quality.

Test the system carefully first. Fill those additive bottles with tank water, and run it for a few weeks to make sure the unit is working. Far better to find you added a gallon of tank water back to your system than to find had something wrong and added a full bottle of calcium or alkalinity booster to your system and killed all the livestock.

FrootStick

So guys, the time has come. Really looking into a dosing pump as my next buy.
What brands or pumps do you guys use?
I was looking into the pacific sun kore 5th, but I'm sure there are other great ones out there.

FrootStick

Would I be best to dose kalk to start if with? Seems a little easier to start with.
I've been doing a lot of reading, and kalk seems the way to go. I was looking into the stirrers and connecting it to my ATO.
But opinions would've greatly appreciated.
As iWork away from home a lot of the time, I'm really after the easiest and best way of giving my tank what it needs.