First CC, then SB, now BB, what's next?

mick77

I've been reading the various posts and articles on deep sand beds, and removing them. Here's my concern, when I first entered this hobby (back in 99) the general consensus was to go with crushed coral as a substrate. Well my tank sprung a leak in late 99 causing me to start from scratch. CC was still prominately featured, so I went back with it. Once I moved into my new house (02) I noticed many articles on DSBs so I decided to go this route. Well, it's 2004 and now the general consensus is to remove the once highly sought after DSB and go either BB or back with the a thin layer of original CC! So, before I firmly decide to take out my DSB, can anybody play the act of Nostradamus and tell what the general consensus will be 2 years from now so I can just go ahead and skip to that method? Sorry if I'm coming off as bitter, that in no way is my intention. It just gets a little frustrating to see idealologies change so often when it comes to a major decision with our reef tanks. It would be different if we were just talking about different salts, equipment and supplements, but when it comes to substrate it's an entirely different animal. Does anybody else have these concerns, or am I just having a bad day?

Witfull

welcome to my world...when i first started,,,there were very few artificial salts and they were expensive. so thee only reasonable way was NSW. then the salt mixes came in,,,,UGF filters..then skimmers,,wet dries, fluidized beds,,,etc etc...this is an ever changing hobby/science, so,,,its really up to you to read and study, expereiment and find what works best for you. ive been doing this over 20yrs and still dont have it down pat,,lol

Montanareefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
I agree with Wit! I had a 29 gallon tank over 30 years ago and believe it was not easy!

Believe it or not but this hobby is in it's infant stage and I would say within the last 5 years it has changed tremendously. I as well went the CC, DSB and now the BB route. Is there really a right way to this hobby, well my answer would be no but at the same time we know there are basics we have to follow.

I am happy with my decision to take out my DSB and just remember this is not a quick fix solution but it is a step to what I want my tank to be like and be healthy.

DSB are not a bad thing but need to be maintained and even at best within 3-5 years they will have to be replaced with another one. I just prefer to not have to deal with taking out another DSB as they are a heck of alot of work.

I went with the 1" substrate in the front of the tank and back is BB. I can easily siphon the detrius out of the substrate every week or so and keep it clean.

I was like you very frustrated when I put in a DSB and then things were found out about DSB that needed to be address. Unfortunately I did not maintain my DSB and it started leaking phosphates back into the tank.

But I realize to keep your tank healthy and the way you want to enjoy it you have to make decisions as you go and believe new developments are coming out quite fast these days and hopefully in time we can settle down and have what we are all looking for. Sorry if this is long but just wanted you to know another hobbyist's way of seeing it. :)

mick77

Wow, between the two of you, I'm still an infant! Thanks for all the input Wit and Johnny. If I step back and take a look at it, I agree, this hobby has made leaps and bounds in aspects of husbandry and technology. I guess it just comes down to an indivduals passion and dedication to what will truly be a successful reef environment. However, each time a new gadget comes out, I have to wonder "is this just some marketing hype to make me come off some more cash, or is this something that will truly benefit my tank?". Personally, I think I will stick with the DSB since mine could be considered to still be in the embrionic state, but I am leaning more and more to go ahead and rip the sucker out.

mick77

Yeah, I've been looking for those glass shard pops they've been advertising, but I can't find them anywhere!

BigReepher

:dunno: What are they doin in Europe? I'm goin with a DSB on top of a starboard bottom in case I change my mind.

tgeiger

I feel like I binked and missed the trend. I could have sworn that a month ago, everyone was DSB. What caused the sudden reversal?

:confused:

-Tom