First Big problem that isn't as fixable...Reef Tank

Jblaise

I had a few posts on this forum talking about lighting and was talked into metal halide ..which was a good idea for growing coral.
Ended up buying Odyssea Metal Halide System
It was a poor choice overall because the MH Melts the center brace only after 5-10mins being on and is positioned over it blocking some light. The Mounting legs won't let the tank Lid open. The 4 cords with Balllast make using it on a timer very tricky and wouldn't need 1 more daytime outlet for running fans...I think the left fan may of stopped working out of the box..not 100% yet...If I work around it I have to use a aluminium flashing folded like a tent over brace...and just not open lids unless I move light and deal with timers as is.
I read there return policy and they charge to send it back..then charge shipping even thou it was Free with purchase + 20% restocking. I'm kinda screwed cause the only other light that would seem ok is $450 after I eat this loss.
I'm almost sick thinking about it all day...this in the middle of trying to Plump the sump..figure out how the skimmer works..hopefully no additional plumping...had to slan the heater side ways in refuge cause it was to big...powerheads not here to mix salt yet might use return pump...Ro/Di water is using like 200 Gallons...wondering if the housing company is gonna notice.. It'll all pan out eventually...any input on the lighting situation is appericated.

I need gills

Has been struck by the ban stick
My only suggestion would be get a t5 rig with reflectors or LED. I'm so sorry all this is happening but it will all be in the past soon.there's been a few good times where this hobby has givin me anxiety trips too. Either way send it back and replace metal halide is too much heat and electricity IMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Anselth

a 250 w HQI over a 65 gallon tank is a bit much, for starters. I made out fine with a 150 over my 50 gallon, same issue with the center brace under the MH bulb. Just need to make sure that the light loving corals are out of the shade provided by the brace. I haven't read up on the subject in some time, but I recall the Odyssea lights getting very poor reviews in general. From what you're saying (dead fan), it doesn't seem like they've improved much.

I noticed you said you can't get the cover open. What cover? You really, really don't want to use a glass or acrylic cover over a reef tank, especially if you're shining halides on it. The clear material will trap all kinds of heat in the tank and prevent evaporation. Plus you need to be able to exchange oxygen over as much surface area as possible. Covering your tank eliminates over half of your surface area as a gas exchange media.

T5s are very good. In a 65 gallon tank, I think (don't quote me, ask around) 6 should be enough for you to keep all but the most light-loving species happy. They're also cheaper to run and cheaper to replace the bulbs when needed. And cooler, both for keeping water temperature down and your hands safe. I've burned myself on my MH casings on more than one occasion.

engineer goby

T5s are very good. In a 65 gallon tank, I think (don't quote me, ask around) 6 should be enough for you to keep all but the most light-loving species happy. They're also cheaper to run and cheaper to replace the bulbs when needed. And cooler, both for keeping water temperature down and your hands safe. I've burned myself on my MH casings on more than one occasion.

Agreed, I have a 6x54 t5 and on my 90 and have a Clam and SPS and yes Ditch the tops

Jblaise

Top which is made from Lumen and lets 50% more light in then regular glass was $60 and the light if I go through all the trouble and they let me return it and I'm gonna lose $100 ..might get $100 back out of $200 if I'm lucky... Might have to think a few things out so annoying and a waste of good money. I looked at T5's and so many people said go MH. Would 4 T5 grow most coral in a 24" tank ??

engineer goby

4 bulbs would allow some corals, Leathers, zoas would be no problem. Some LPS like frogspawn, hammers, Duncans would be ok. I would shop around for a good used 6 bulb unit if money is a problem but yea you could grow coral under a 4 bulb setup.

Anselth

OK, first things first. Take a step back and breathe.

Now, let's start with the basics.

When did you start getting involved in the hobby? Your first post was about a month ago, saying you wanted to set the tank up in a year. What changed? Not that there's anything wrong with moving your timetable up, but it seems like you are excited and may be rushing into some things. Going slowly in this hobby is key. Impatience is the worst possible vice for a reefkeeper.

This hobby is expensive - moreso when you make mistakes on equipment. I have a bucket full of powerheads that I've had to replace over and over, as I felt a vortech was too expensive. I probably have as much cash tied up in those burned out powerheads as I would have spent on the vortech if I had waited. However, one thing you can't waste money on are books. Let me suggest a few, if you don't already have them:

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist

Aquarium Corals : Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History

It's very important to map out what you want in a tank. Do you really want an anemone or SPS corals? Then you're going to want a high quality skimmer and some powerful lights. Thinking about LPS and softies? You can get by with less light and a less agressive skimmer. Think of it like buying a house. List your must haves and would likes and work from there. Check out the compatibility between the species and make sure you're not going to cause trouble between them. Work backwards. Know your stocking list before you put a drop of water in the tank. And tailor your equipment to them.

Don't feel like you need to get the tank set up tomorrow, or next week, or in six months. Return the items you don't need if you can, or sell them on ebay if you can't. Make sure what you are buying is the right thing for what YOU want to do with your tank. Take your time and get everything right before you move on to the next step.

And finally, relax. You're probably going to take a hit on the equipment, and I know that hurts. But it will hurt a lot less than it would if you set up the tank, had the wrong equipment, and fried your livestock without knowing what was wrong.

Doogle

Sorry about the bad day, but that happens to all of us sometime or another. Maybe you can try suspending the fixture above the tank a bit? Idk but just something I thought might help.

Jblaise

Ok I made a call to both the store and credit card company...store won't work with me at all.. charges return shipping + 25% restock + Shipping that they gave you free to send it to you. I would have around $80 back of the $200. The credit card company will refund the price look into it and refund if the paper work gets done and aquatraders is found to be wrong. So the questions is what can I do...After thinking about it I have 2 Options ...I return the light take the $120 hit and buy a new light with less lighting power probably...or I might look at a canopy suspend the light and could even swap out 2 of the T5 for 10K watts and keep 2 antics...?? Lets brainstorm with the last idea..any input..any links to canopys or lights...I would like to grow all kinds of corals and maybe a calm...I plan on having a madrian goby after months of it running and have a sump which I'm gonna add cheato algae and copepods too. 2 clown fish, yellow watchman goby with pistol shrimp, starfish, hermit crabs, snails, cleaner shrimp, and maybe
1 or 2 other fish. I appericate the help and advice ..keep it coming and I'll keep asking :p And anselth your right I bought a 120g was gonna wait a year and get used...then I finally resold the tank bought a new 65RR and decided to buy a reef setup now.
lol I'm still learning patience.

Doogle

There you go you already have your 4 t5 setup, just add a couple 10,000k (or similar k) bulbs. Until you get it suspended and crank up the halide! Lol

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
jebo/odyssea have a long history of disappointing people, if your so inclined it would be easy enough to take it all apart and use the bits for a retro light system, if your not sure exactly what your doing then don't attempt it, save up and buy something usable

Jblaise

Yea at the moment I set the light back up..gonna use it as a (2) 39w T5 10K and a (2) 39w T5 Bulb Actinic Blue. That should get me started in 12 months or so I might upgrade. Making salt water with Red sea Coral Pro soon. I got 45 pounds of rock from BRS. I need to buy some live rock after the water goes in ..I could buy it from petco online for $72 20 punds or $90 10 pounds local petstore ..45mins away...Aquascaping is proving harder then thought.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I'm not positive but I could swear I (we) advised against odyssea fixtures....... They really suck!

sk8rdn

PSU4ME said:
I'm not positive but I could swear I (we) advised against odyssea fixtures....... They really suck!

+1 I remember reading this conversation...

...."Fish" Happens!....